Uoloading Tracks To Memory Map

Mr'D

Maybe we do a days caching. We plan our journey with say, three parking places, and set off with the GPSr to do a couple of caches at each.

When back at the car, we turn the GPSr off (to maintain an acurate overall walking distance), and at the next stop, turn it back on. Now, when uploading these multiple tracks into MM from the GPSr, MM automatically joins each start and finish point with a straight line. :laughing:

Is there a way of just showing our 'walked' tracks in MM, without this annoying line being inserted?

Thanks.

Jon

You have to download the complete active log to your computer BEFORE saving it in the GPS.

After you have downloaded it you can rename each track individually ans save them for future upload to the GPS as individual tracks.

GBC

You have to download the complete active log to your computer BEFORE saving it in the GPS.

After you have downloaded it you can rename each track individually ans save them for future upload to the GPS as individual tracks.

GBC

Not quite sure if I understand you here...

I don't do anything particular to save the tracks into the GPSr (Once downloaded from the GPSr I then delete all tracks)

When I get back to home I simply plug the GPS into the PC and use the 'Import from GPS, tracks' button from within MM.

What happens is that MM draws a straight line between a track finish point and the next track start point.

Am I doing this wrong, or am I not doing something I should be?

Jon

:laughing: You will have a loop, for example with say 3 straight line sections where Memory Map has chosen to join your walks, at the points where the GPS was switched off then back on again.

When you have the route uploaded onto the PC back home, right click at one end of a straight line and choose SPLIT TRACK from the drop down menu. Do the same at the other end of the line.

Right click on the now separated straight line and choose delete.

Do this for all unwanted sections.

When you split a section of track, Memory Map names it as a split portion of the original track.

Right click on a track or newly split section and go to properties to re-name or change the colour etc of any track sections you create.

If you end up with an unwanted waypoint or two on a route, then right click on the part of the track you want to simplify and choose REMOVE TRACKPOINT.

You can’t undo with Memory Map as in MS WORD etc so before you mess with your overlay, save a copy of the current one by clicking OVERLAY / EXPORT ALL and save the backup mmo file in a folder in My Docs or whatever. Save as many overlays as you like and double click on them to open them up in Memory Map at a later time or import them.

You will have a loop, for example with say 3 straight line sections where Memory Map has chosen to join your walks, at the points where the GPS was switched off then back on again.

Thanks for this. It all works, but sometimes it is indeed fiddley. Why I wonder have Garmin assumed one wants the tracks joined when the GPSr is switched off though

Thanks again.