Benchmark Not In The Db

TetrAmigos

Today I spotted and photographed a benchmark in Los Angeles on the Pierce College Campus by the ID of AJ1873. I'm fairly new to benchmark hunting, and I havn't run into the problem of not being able to locate a find on gs.com after downloading the waypoints from NGS.

Did I do something wrong? What would you do in a situation like this?

The database of benchmarks used by Geocaching.com is a snapshot created several years ago and not updated since then.

This benchmark entered the NGS database in 2001 and probably doesn't appear on Geocaching.com because it is too new.

So unless and until the Geocaching.com database is updated -- something that seems unlikely to happen -- you can not log it here.

If you want to see the NGS datasheet for this benchmark, click here.

And oh yeah, welcome to this crazy hobby!

-ArtMan-

acPilot -

To add to ArtMan's analysis -

When I come across a benchmark that I wasn't looking for, I record as much data as I can from the disk, record the details of the recovery (it's a compulsion), and record my GPS handheld coords. Then, I go to the NGS datasheet page and do a radial search on the location to see if the mark is in the National Spatial Reference System (NGS database) or not (by comparing the data on the disk and other descriptive details to likely-looking NGS datasheets.

To date (and NOT counting RM and AZ disks that don't have their own PIDs), I have come across five "in NGS/not in Geocaching" disks and 92 "not in NGS/not in Geocaching either" disks.

As ArtMan said, anything entered into the NGS database after the year 2000 or thereabouts is not going to be in the Geocaching database.

Also, there are gazillions of survey disks out there that are in neither database.

What to do in a situation like this? What I do (it's a compulsion) is append the data from the "not in Geocaching" mark to the datasheet for a mark that is in Geocaching (usually, for the closest mark I can find). See

JV3935

for an example.

Will