Nw Rookie

outlawdv8r

Anyone out there in the PDX Metro area who is willing to buddy up with me and teach me the ropes? I am outdoors savy and have the equipment, yet there is something wrong with my brain; it is having a hard time making all of this work :rolleyes: I have read the manual MANY times, bought a DVD, and have a good working knowledge of what GPS is all about. The trouble I am having is putting it all together.

I currently have a Garmin eTrex Vista and primarily want to use it for backpacking and kayaking. I also want to learn about geocaching as a means of practicing my skills. I would like any help possible. Maybe even take me on a field trip to find your next cache. I'm willing to provide lunch, dinner, snacks, BEER....whatever it takes to make it worth your while.

Thanks in advance....

Well... all I can tell you is what I do for finding a cache (if that helps)

I happen to have an Garmin Etrex (yellow one) which likely has the same features yours has.

One thing I learned long ago is to have the unit set up for proper longitude and latitiude coordinates. To do that, your instruction book can help. I can also tell you that you will need to go to the "menu display" on your unit, get into the unit's "set up" and then find "units". Then you need to scroll down to "map datum" Your map datum needs to be set on WGS 84. This is all done under "set up" Once this is accomplished your ready for the next step.

Go here, to this web site and choose a cache that is near to you and in a familiar area. (for your first time) There are a few ways to utilize information to find a given cache. One is to download the waypoint into your GPS unit, but this requires an interface cable. The next way is to directly input the longitude and latitude (if your unit has the capability) directly into your unit. And the method I use is to write down the longitude and latitude on a piece of paper and familiarize myself with the area map provided on the right side of the cache page (Map Quest). Once you feel confident you know the general area you are going to, you can proceed. (don't forget extra batteries)(voice of experience)

I usually drive to the general area (indicated on the cache page map), then I turn my unit on. After my unit gets a satelite lock, I scroll to the compass display. On the bottom of the screen you will see additional info displayed. (mine defaults to "speed"). You can scroll "within the compass display" to bring up an additional display of "longitude and latitude" at the bottom of the compass screen.

Now, if you are in the general area of the cache you are seeking, these numbers will start to correspond to the numbers you have written on that piece of paper.

You will learn with practice which direction to move to get the numbers to change closer to the numbers on your piece of paper. The closer the numbers on the display are, to the numbers on your piece of paper.......the closer you are getting to the cache.

Now, if you are in North America... all longitude and latitude will be displayed in the following (as an example) N 41 82.4332 W 085 45.2223 The N & W of course representing North and West, but not "Northwest" combined. These numbers will increase (go up) as you move to the north or west. And will decrease (go down) as you go south or east. Keep that in mind as you compare the GPS Longitude and Latitude to your piece of paper that has the longitude and latitude of the cache.

With practice you should be able to find most caches with this method. You can also with time refine it to suit yourself. Remember, a GPS unit is not going to take you to the "exact spot". It will take you as close to the cache as the GPS unit is capable of. Most GPS units can get you within 20 or 30 feet of a target in ideal conditions. Not so ideal conditions (trees, hills, cloudy/stormy skies) and you might be looking at 50 yards or more. It just depends.....

I like going to caches that are "containers" of some type. I go and buy little trinkets at the store to leave there, in exchange for what i might take from the cache. There are also "virtual" caches. Which are just meant for you to arrive at a significant spot and so on...

This info is just some basics for you.... There are many ways to skin this cat (geocaching). But this will get you started and hopefully you will enjoy it.

I know you are going camping and kayaking and perhaps backpacking. One of the most important aspects in those areas........don't get lost!!!

This requires you turn on your GPS unit "at your start point". Get a lock with your GPS unit. Scroll through until you have the "menu page". Scroll down the menu page and select "waypoints". If you hit the "select button" it will ask you if you want to mark your position with a waypoint (001??) Just push the select button again to confirm marking your postion. Please read your instruction book carefully to fully understand marking waypoints.

Now you have your starting point marked (car, parking lot as an example) you can shutoff your GPS unit and walk to your destiation. Once you wish to return to your original starting point. You turn your unit on and scroll back to the menu page and select "tracks". (I believe you have track-back feature) Select "save" and then select "entire log". This will save "where you were" and "where you are now".

Then on the same screen select "track-back". And then select "to begining" Now your GPS unit will show you on another screen (compass screen). It will have an arrow that will indicate your direction of travel. Follow the arrow back to your starting point. You can also scroll to the "track-back screen" to actually see your progress and how far away you are from your starting point (pictorial representation). There is also additional info your unit can provide you on your trip. You really need to practice with it and understand all of it's functions... Do not just go out and hope it all works out. Have confidence in what your doing before you do it. Practice using the track-back method while going from home to the store for example. the worst place to "try it" is when your lost in the woods.... Be careful... Hope this helped.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Two Humans and a Dog