Map Software

I am a recent newbie and learned the only way to get topo \ street maps on to your Garmin means you have to buy Garmin's software. Not cheap, but your kinda stuck.

That's not unique to Garmin either, same applies to Magellan as well.

I just ordered Garmin's Mapsource City Select from Wal Mart for $112 in the GPS 18 package (includes GPS reciever for your laptop). It's cheaper (or as cheap) then buying the software alone.

If you don't need to be able to load the maps on to your CS, then I am sure there are less expensive mapping titles out there. I don't have any recommendations but I am sure other members will chime in. :blink:

Jason

Garmin provides 2 "unlock" codes with their mapping software. If you buy the software, you can load it on several computers, but can only upload maps to two GPS units. If someone else has purchased it and used one of the unlock codes, I guess you could buy it and use the other code. If you later upgrade to another GPS unit, though, you'll be stuck.

More on maps for the 60C in the Maps Section of the FAQ.

Will mapsource metro guide USA and US Topo west work with my 60c?

They will work, but the current version of MetroGuide will not autoroute. City Select is the only current road software that will autoroute on your GPSr.

Autorounting is a pretty slick feature. You can type in and address or find a waypoint or point of interest and press GOTO, and you get turn-by-turn directions. Older versions of metroguide (version 4 I believe) did autorouting, but the maps were a bit dated.

Topo West is fine. I live in Houston, which is right on the border of West and East, so I have to have both.

MetroGuide-USA will work, but only the old version 4 of that software will support the auto-routing feature of your 60c. The current version 6, which is now MetroGuide-NA (includes Canada as well as the US) only provides auto-routing on a PC.

Therefore it's highly recommended that you get CitySelect-NA instead. The map detail and POIs are the same for MG and CS.