List Those Unlisted Marks

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I am always spotting benchmarks that are not in the system and wanted a way to keep track of them, so I decided to use This Place to keep a list, and make it open to anyone who wants to post their finds also. In order to log yours you would have to register there, and provide coordinates. Try to give plain english and clear descriptions of the marks, similar to the logs I've posted. I don't know if anyone is interested, but there it is.

when I post a new log, I just copy one of my old ones and edit the info, in order to keep them all the same format.

Hi, Robert:

I visited the site. That's a creative idea.

May I add a recommendation? Unlisted benchmarks can be added to the notes for nearby markers which ARE in the data base. This gives other benchmark hunters a "heads up" about the area--especially if the unlisted markers are unusual or are of historical interest.

For an example, see this entry.

It is easy to do, using the great utility program on GEOCACHING.COM. Simply enter the coordinates of the unlisted mark into the Lat-Long search box. Pick an appropriate benchmark from the search results and enter a NOTE.

If you know in advance that you're going after an unlisted mark (as I did with these 100-year-old granite stones), print the nearby marks and search for them while you are in the vicinity!

-Paul-

Edited by PFF