too much information?

Guest charlesml

Guest charlesml

I am going to hide my 1st cache inside a park pretty soon(next week) do you think I should post information about the park's name and parking location...etc on the cache's page? just wanna hear what you guys think, let's have a vote, thanks!

[This message has been edited by charlesml (edited 11 May 2001).]

Guest Nemesis

The park's name and a good parking spot are a good idea.

You may want to put a detailed description of how to get to the stash from the car park in the hints, but you could include a more general directions in the report itself (like, "follow this track" or "the stash is about 500 m South East of the car park).

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Paul Lamble

I don't think it hurts to mention the name of the park and things of a general nature like that. I've done it with the caches I've hidden. One thing I've heard others say they wished they had known in advance was whether or not dogs were welcome at the park. It's a shame to drive an hour to a park only to find you have to leave your pup in the car. Another is whether or not off-trail hiking is permitted. Or is the park/terrain/hiding spot complex enough that I should mark the parking lot as a waypoint so I can find my way back to it.

Just some thoughts.

Paul Lamble

Kansas City

Guest Moun10Bike

I think you should add whatever you feel will be helpful, depending on how difficult you want to make the cache. I have had discussions on the mailing list with some who would like to make such information mandatory, or at least make such information part of the cache submission form, but I don't support that. I feel that this would encourage every cache to become "easy" (1 or 2 difficulty rating). I much prefer that the cache hider decide what information to include, whether it is precise directions to the cache or simply a set of coordinates.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I think you should add whatever you feel will be helpful, depending on how difficult you want to make the cache. I have had discussions on the mailing list with some who would like to make such information mandatory, or at least make such information part of the cache submission form, but I don't support that. I feel that this would encourage every cache to become "easy" (1 or 2 difficulty rating). I much prefer that the cache hider decide what information to include, whether it is precise directions to the cache or simply a set of coordinates.

Sometimes the best thing to know is whether or not bushwacking is needed. It can really let the hunter know if they are looking too hard (which often seems to be my problem) and it helps keep the environment in a bit better shape which is always good.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _________________ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

"But a big booming voice from the sky is exactly what you have found..."

-Contact