Cache Maintenance Button

Nurse Dave

So there is a thread in a local area that brought of the issue of people having more caches than they can maintain. And the question is why are people allowed to hide more than they can maintain.

I don't really like the idea of a fixed number that people can hide to avoid the issue of non-maintenance. But I did come up with an idea. What if there is a "Needs Maintenance" button that a finder can click along with a "found" or "note". Then the cache is flagged with needing maintenance. Once the hider or another cacher has fixed or checked on the problem, the hider would unflag the cache. If a hider has over a fixed number of caches being flagged for maintenance, then they could be cut off for new approvals or at least it would be a warning to approvers. And maybe it would even be a good reminder to the hider themselves.

I think the biggest issue isn't the actual number of caches people have, but when they are spending their time hiding others when they have ones that need their attention. In addition it could be a flag to others in the area that enjoy helping out others with their caches. "Hey that cache I pass by every day to work needs a new log book. I'll stop by there on my way."