Epe Constantly Changing

TrotzO

Hi all,

I have a sportrak color and my EPE keeps changing even when I've got a great sat lock. The EPE jumps around like 75, 105, 30, 95' etc. I upgraded to the new software ver, and reset to factory defaults if that helps......

still on hold with Magellan tech support and I'll bet I get an answer here faster! Been on hold for a half hour!

thanx in advance

Yep. Been doing this for 4 years now, and yep - EPE always jumps. As the satellites move around, signal gets better :blink: , signal gets worse :huh:, trees, clouds, concrete walls. It's the nature of having a device listening for a signal :blink: that's travelling 7,000 mph 12,000 miles above us.

Edited by Markwell

I decided to test my Garmin. I emptied the waypoints out of it. Checked my position. Watched the error bounce around for 15 minutes. Estimated the average error. Used GSAK to reload the waypoints (lots of them). Checked my position again for 15 minutes and estimated the error again. Yup, it bounced around the same way and the average error was about the same. I can't speak about Magellan but my Garmin Etrex Legend accuracy isn't affected by waypoints in memory. So, if waypoints mess with your Magellan's accuracy it must be one of those undocumented features.

Now, what do I believe. Magellan technical support is handing out what many of us might describe with the same term used to describe the anal droppings of large male bovines. :blink:

The accuracy figure does change quite frequently, and sometimes over a very considerable range, even if you are standing still. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Expect your GPS to get you close to the general area, but expect nothing more than that. Don't try to "follow the needle" right to where "X marks the spot" because that can never actually happen. Your true position on earth is just as unknown as the cache's true position; both calculations are (were) subject to error. Those error conditions change constantly.

Oh, I love calling tech support! I think it's wonderful that some 19 year old college student in Bombay, India can figure out which line of cr@p to tell the caller to get them to end the call. I had one (from a major ISP) tell me that they recommend that I *not* use a surge protector for my DSL modem. Apparently clean power makes me not able to connect to the internet. :(