New Yellow Garmin Etrex

noosh9057

Well with all the info I got here I just orderd my first GPS yellow Garmin eTrex. I orderd it from the GPS Store. I also got a PC interface cable on ebay for $6.88. I cant wait to get them in the mail. When it comes do I need to set up the gps to work with the web site. Or is the defallt settings going to get me started? Well thanks for all the help.

Roger

When it comes do I need to set up the gps to work with the web site. Or is the defallt settings going to get me started? Well thanks for all the help.

Roger,

I'm not sure what you mean by setting up the GPSr to work with the website. In terms of the information on the website, all you need to check is that the coordinates datum that you use is WGS-84.

If you want to download waypoints to your PC and transfer them to the GPSr, you'll first need to:

1) set up pocket queries,

2) Install software that can that can read the pocket queries and transfer them to your GPSr.

3) connect the GPSr to your computer (there are some potential setting here, but the defaults are probably correct).

For more information on downloading waypoints, including links to the available software, go to this page.

In terms of software, EasyGPS is free and easy to use, so you might want to start with that. However, I highly recommend Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) - it's a little harder to learn to use, but the capabilities are amazing and once you use it, you won't be able to live without it! (GSAK allows you a free trial period, after which you have to pay for the program - it's well worth the money).

(Markwell was than I was!).

Edited by Kai Team

You are a premium member already so you can get gpx files one at a time or as pocket queries. You will need "EasyGPS" (free) or GSAK ($20 license) handle transferring coords to the Garmin. "EasyGPS" works well but it can't handle paperless geocaching. You can do as I did when I first started and print the cache pages and use "EasyGPS" to put the coords into my Garmin. The printed pages work to take cache notes on and you can file them in a found loose leaf book once you log your find. That process works.

For paperless geocaching you need a Palm Pilot or a pocket PC and GSAK to really make life simple. GSAK uses the pocket queries to send stuff to the Garmin and it sends stuff to the pocket PC or Palm. If you use a Palm, you'll need something like Cachmate ($7 license) on it to hold the cache info for you.

Enjoy geocaching it is a great hobby and most cachers you'll meet are great people.

Well with all the info I got here I just orderd my first GPS yellow Garmin eTrex. I orderd it from the GPS Store. I also got a PC interface cable on ebay for $6.88. I cant wait to get them in the mail. When it comes do I need to set up the gps to work with the web site. Or is the defallt settings going to get me started? Well thanks for all the help.

Roger

You can start downloading the .loc files you want, then use freeware EasyGPS or whatever to upload them.

If you've got a laptop, I'd recommend downloading the freeware nRoute and snagging an older version of MetroGuide (ver 4 or 5) on the cheap from eBay. It'll use your gps to do turn-by-turn direction on the road. Pretty cool.