Cito Turnout In S. Puget Sound (tacoma)

justybug

Hi everyone.

Just got finished scoping out an area i'd like to help out a bit, and after discussions with the project manager for the area and his positive response to cache placement,, etc... i'd like to encourage CITO for this area, and possibly setup an event.

as i am still really new to this hobby, and haven't been to any cito events, i don't know much about them, my main concern is what kind of turnout to expect? i'll be posting this in my regional boards as well, but was wondering what suggestions could be made by the community at large to help increase the response i'm looking for?

parts of this area have been used as mini drop sites for garbage for awhile, the area overall is in great shape, and includes an oak savannah and a wetlands, both in the process of being protected as a low-impact area.

there are a lot of volunteer opportunities, including mapping out invasive plants species via gps, tagging trees and locating them, blackberry removal, trail construction and rehab, tree planting, etc...

this area is home to a huge variety of bird species, and a fairly important area for a lot of critters.

i'm going to be taking part in a lot of these actions, but could use some help.

so.... let me know what has worked for you!!!

thanks in advance.

my main concern is what kind of turnout to expect?

This will all depend on many things. Some variables:

- how long before the event date you publish the CITO Event

- how actively you "market" the event

- how active the local discussion board is, and how involved any local geocaching clubs are

- weather

- etc

I know of a very successful Pennsylvania CITO event with 10 people attending. I hosted one where about 30 cachers came, plus 50 school kids, plus some local orienteerers. I've been to one where 50 people showed up, but spread out over a 6-hour span.

When you write up the Long Description, ask people to make a note of how many people will attend. RSVP, as it were.

Some very useful tips can be found here:

CITO Event tips from '03 event organizers

was wondering what suggestions could be made by the community at large to help increase the response i'm looking for?
One idea:

encourage local cache owners to add a link from existing cache pages to your CITO event cache page. Providing a snappy graphic encourages lookers. (Not everyone likes this type of "advertising," but it can be done well -- not in an annoying, pushy way.)

there are a lot of volunteer opportunities, including mapping out invasive plants species via gps, tagging trees and locating them, blackberry removal, trail construction and rehab, tree planting, etc...

I don't know your area, but it's very possible that the same individuals will want to help but they won't be able to do all things in just one day. Are you at all considering having separate CITO events on different days? One day to cleanup. Another day to tag trees. Next month (or whenever is the best time of year to do this specific task), blackberry removal etc.

good points, the other volunteer things i mentioned aren't planned for any specific day, just tasks that were brought up in discussions with the property manager, that i'd also like to help out with.

i will be posting a cache this week for the area, and will make the cache description include my plans to help out.

thinking about it a bit more, using the CITO day in April makes a lot of sense, both for a better response, and to help shine some good light on Geocaching.com, etc...

gives me plenty of time to plan it more effectively as well.

keep the suggestions coming!

:laughing:

I was nervous about turnout at the CITO event I organized in Spring 2003 at a State Park that was a fair distance away from the center of our local caching community. To ensure success, I did the following:

1. I placed four new difficult permanent caches in the park for the outdoorsy types to find after the cleanup event. This group also had a more challenging CITO task: clearing a new section of trail with axes and saws.

2. I placed three easy temporary caches in the park near the command post, for the family types to find after the event. This group had a fun CITO assignment: walking around the perimeter of a lake to pick up the trash left by fishermen, hikers and beachgoers.

3. I sprung for the main course at the potluck picnic.

4. I organized a "Geocacher's Supermarket" where I sold a pallet of ammo boxes and about $400 in Groundspeak merchandise to those who had ordered it.

5. I wrote lots of forum posts and personal e-mails to make sure all the "regulars" were planning on attending.

Despite pouring rain that miraculously ended just at the meeting time for the CITO event, we had more than 50 people turn out. It was a record at that time for an event turnout in our area.

Good luck with your event and thank you for your interest in organizing one. It is very rewarding.

i think i could work something out with ammo boxes, we've got some good cheap local sources. i might even pre-load a few for prizes... hmmmmm

i think i need to scout some locations quick. i don't think i want more than 2 in the area, and one multi would probably be best, just pointing around the area..

thanks for the suggestions!

NEW EVENT NOW LISTED! Finally got it up and posted after getting the ok from the property coordinator.

CITO listing is found at the Oakey Dokey Corral Cleanup! There will be a multi-stage Geocache up and running by March 7, and I will be placing some temporary caches on the day of the event for attendees.

I've also got some prizes and prize support from local businesses in the works.

I will add any new info here or on the cache page as it comes up.

Thanks for all the suggestions I've received!