Magellan Map 330 Update Problem

coupe_26

I know that this is an out of date GPS system, but it's the only one I have and would like some information from someone that has had it in the past. I bought this new back in Dec. 2001, and have enjoyed using it on vacations, and in my fathers antique car.

I'm new to Geocaching and I have a Magellan Map 220 GPSr. I didn't know until last week when I was visiting Magellan's web page, that you are supposed to be able to update the software on the GPSr's. I am running Windows XP and downloaded the latest version of their software that they say is for my system. The version that my receiver says when it starts is Rev. 1.05, and they version that they are giving away is version 4.0

I'm not having any luck with getting it to load onto my GPSr. I've checked the baud rate and made sure that everything matches. Every time I try and update the software I get the following error message

Error reading supplemental code file

I am able to upload things from the MapSend software that came with the GPSr. I've e-mailed Magellan tech support, and the only responce I got back from them was that the file download from their site would need to be extracted. I then mailed them back saying that I had already extracted the 1 file that is downloaded into the 5 files, but am having no luck with my update, and get no further mail from them.

Is there anyone out there that has had this system in the past that can try and help me out?

Thanks

This is a great group for information on the MAP 330.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/m330/

I personally would not go directly to 4.0 unless you are completely comfortable with upgrading your firmware. Too many people have had trouble going to 4.0 resulting in an expensive paperweight.

If you do chose to go to 4.0 backup your basemap BEFORE attempting it, using the directions in the Yahoo Groups Files section.

Edited by sledgehampster

Funny thing is, all my previous updates on this unit went off without a hitch. But I promptly killed mine with v4.00. Thankfully, Magellan is the kind of company that will make things right....they just sent me a brand spanking new unit for free after having had it for four years... Pretty awesome in my oppinion.