Celebrations

Could we use a thread like this, on this side of the pond?

I'm pinning this topic at the top of the forums as a place where you can express your congratulations to anyone and everyone when they achieve a significan geocaching milestone. It is meant to replace the numerous "Congrats" threads that appear from time to time in the UK forum.

Although not everyone will be happy with this style of offering good wishes to fellow geocachers, it is commonly used elsewhere and most people who responded to my previous thread thought we ought to give it a go.

So.......congratulate on 

From a thread in the UK

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

The U.S. regional forums are full of threads for the purpose of congratulating individual geocachers about milestones, and at least one forum has a generic thread for everyone celebrating milestones. In the Northeast forum where I hang out, we even voted on whether to have a pinned thread. The majority was in favor of starting individual threads for each milestone. Pinned threads are often skipped over, and mixing all the milestones in one thread was noted by some to have diluted the importance of each particular accomplishment.

It is my opinion that, for the most part, such congratulatory threads are best suited for the regional forums here, or for the separate forums maintained by state and local geocaching groups. The people most interested in saying "good job" are other geocachers who actually know the person who just found #200. No offense, but if you live eight states away and I've never cached with you, I'm not particularly interested to learn that you hit a milestone. An exception would be for some unusual milestone, like 5000 finds, or a person using a wheelchair to roll to their 100th find. Those would be interesting to me regardless of location.

The UK forum represents a close-knit group of geocachers who see one another at events and cache hunts. Size-wise, the UK is analogous to a US regional forum. A pinned thread works great for them. If you think it would work for your own US regional forum, start a topic there or write privately to a moderator for that forum.