Additional Email Notifications?

evilC

I was recently caught out (slightly) when the location of a newly placed cache was changed a couple of weeks after it first appeared on the site (due, I suspect, to the incorrect datum being used initially by the cache owner). But in the meantime I'd already downloaded the incorrect coordinates to my GPS receiver, and so when I tried to find it I found myself heading for a spot about 200 metres further south than the cache! In other cases, I know some descriptions have been changed or updated in some way, but I've not realised and continued to rely on an earlier printout when trying to find it.

One way to avoid the need to have additional automatic notifications would be if caches owners always posted a note if significant changes like this were made. But this doesn't seem to happen consistently, and the automatic notifcation is likely to be a much more robust solution.

So what I'd like to receive are additional email notifications for caches on my watchlist telling me when the description was changed in any way. If this was likely to generate too many additional notifications for some people's tastes or needs, then perhaps it could also be an option turned on or off in your profile. The notifications might simply indicate which parts of the cache description had changed rather than showing precise details of what was changed.

I.e.

Coordinates not changed.

Description changed.

Hint not changed.

What do you think?

So what I'd like to receive are additional email notifications for caches on my watchlist telling me when the description was changed in any way. If this was likely to generate too many additional notifications for some people's tastes or needs, then perhaps it could also be an option turned on or off in your profile. The notifications might simply indicate which parts of the cache description had changed rather than showing precise details of what was changed.

Hi

Geocaching Australia already does this for gc.com caches (Australia only of course). All registered forum members get a daily email (for their state) telling them what new caches are available, short description changes, long-description changes, coordinate changes etc.

Really great service from my perspective.

Regards

Andrew