Cache Event Idea In Southwest Va

cudlecub

I was approached by the activity director in the small town I live in, Abingdon, VA. He had asked about the possibility of a geocaching club being formed in the area, which one already exists for a larger geographic area and we are looking to host meetings in each of the towns / cities that the group covers. The director has asked that the group host an event introducing locals to geocaching. Has anyone else done anything like this or heard of anything similar?

I have some ideas and have been discussing what we could do with some of the other group members. One of the suggestions was to set up a booth where attendees could sign up for various topics such as gps units, hiding techniques, cache containers, and going paperless. I think there are some great topics but I'm not sure that the total newby might be interested in those sessions. I feel going to the activity center and setting up a group of caches (unnofficial caches so we don't have attendees running all over town) of various types and difficulty levels. We would divide the people into groups and the group that finds them the quickest would win a prize. Of course I am thinking that groups that go later might have and advantage in being able to see foot traffic to and from the cache site.

I'm trying to get some ideas of things for the event and would appreciate any type of input on things to do for it.