Lowrance Ifinder Pro

IVxIV

My iFinder Pro starts up just fine.. After pressing the ON button first a dim "iFinder Pro" logo appears, then it gets brighter and the thing beeps, and after pressing ENTER the unit turns on & starts working fine.

But try turning it OFF and,, grrrrrrr!!! :D

You have to hold the OFF button down a few seconds to shut it off, which I guess is an intended feature to prevent accidental turn-offs. The unit appears to shut off, but then when I release the OFF button,, well the dumb start-up sequence reappears, starting with the dim logo then bright logo and the beep.. Sometimes I'd try shutting it off several times before it would finally stay OFF!

Sometimes out of frustration I just yank out a battery to shut it off :D

Does any other iFinder (Pro or otherwise) user experience this. or do I have a unique lemon?

It sound like problem with contacts (oxidizing). If it out of warranty and you feel like you can handle taking it apart, open it and try to clean contacts (under buttons on cicuit board) with rubber eraser (regular, for pencil). Hope it will help.

BTW, how is your iFinder? I am looking at getting new iWay 100. Should be released soon.

Does any other iFinder (Pro or otherwise) user experience this. or do I have a unique lemon?

Sounds like a problem specific to your unit.

I had an iFinder H2O for a while, and never had the kind of problem you describe. Quite the opposite, in fact. Having recently switched from a different brand of GPS with a different button layout, for the first few days I would often hit the power button by mistake. Trned the unit off perfectly ;)

I liked my iFinder so much that I'm in the market for a new one. I smashed the old one up in a bike accident a few months ago.

Thanks for the info guys :o

Yes perhaps I can open the unit up & check the contacts under the power button. Thankfully it's pretty easy to do on an iFinder, because they use those "face off" removable/replaceable cover plates.. no tools required lol

Besides for this little nuisance, I really love the iFinder, and think it still is one of the very best bang-for-the-buck GPSr's being made by any manufacturer.

I wasn't aware if the iWay 100 till you mentioned it. Looks like they incorporated autorouting into the iFinder line, and added a few more buttons including a "voice" button? Sounds pretty good, although I really don't see a pressing need to have autorouting for Geocaching anyway.