Forum Advertising

Mighty Tiggers

I suppose this question is really for Jeremy, but it has public interest. I have to applaud the fact that there is NO advertising on the forums. Obviously, that is the right decision for users of the main GC website. That said, with 66,349 registered users (as of today), I find it amazing that there is NO advertising on the forums... a place where you would expect some advertising!

I'm just guessing, but the folks at Groundspeak did NOT have to keep this forum advertising free (small banners in headers, etc), as long as the main GC website was free and clear for public use. I just realized that a forum with 66,349 registered users would normally be a cache cow (pun intended) for online advertising... especially given the narrow vertical markets of GPS users, hiking accessories, outdoor goods, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't mind an advertising banner from Garmin, Magellen, and any other third-party vendor from time to time... especially if some of the proceeds were used to further improve and develop functionality of the main GC website. Obviously, membership fees, donations, and some of the fees from the store help with that... but it pales in comparson to what could be earned with simple advertising with this many users. So, thank you for keeping it clean!

... but why are you doing it that way?

I would say that banner ads for GPSs, hiking gear, etc. would be ok, and would supply some more income to make this site a little better (or get Jeremy a nw IQue or something, ha). I would not, however be at all pleased with pop ups or banner ads asking me if I know what my credit score is.

I am guessing advertising is always a tough topic to think about. I am not sure it brings in all that much money. Some yes but one has to balance that with how much people would be turned off by it and what is that worth.

For me I do like how google and gmail handle it. Just some little things on the side that do relate to what your main topic is. One time I was writing to a friend using gmail and they said something about when I am next in their town I could show them about that geocaching thing I do. Well off to the side were some little links to things to do in their town, places to stay and some gps related ads. It was off there to the side I could click or not but it did not get in the way. But they keep changing based on the content of the email. Sometimes it works better than others.

But yea popups and all of those PITA things and I think you would see people in revolt. Or maybe it could be turned off for premium members because they are already supporting the site.

Pork King has it right. Pop-ups and other items are really a nuisance, especially when they are even related to that space. However, I don't see anything wrong with a small banner in the upper right hand corner that rotates advertisers (i.e. Garmin, Magellan, Hiking Magazines, etc). They wouldn't be intrusive at all. If you were interested, then you click on it... if not, no harm done. Some sites make it so annoying that it ruins it for everyone else, but it can be done with taste and done professionally.