Natural Compass

EraSeek

I never knew that about cracks in rocks. It's pretty neat.

Here in southern Africa one can also find a general direction by looking at tall termite mounds built by the species natalensis (so said the game ranger). They generally are orientated to point NW. It supposedly has to do with the temperature regulation in the nest. My experience in the bush tends confirm the NW orientation.

Similarly, the same game ranger who had been a military scout indicated that a particular bird, the buffalo weaver, also builds its nest on the NW side of a tree. Again, it is supposed to have something to do with temperature regulation for the eggs. Now all one has to do is become a birder to know which bird to recognise so as to know which way one is facing.

There are a lot of other ways to get a basic bearing when one is without a compass, but I guess you probably know that.

Cool!

On the sun aspect: winter bark splitting on ornamental trees happens on the sunward (South here) side...

On the bird AND sun aspect: a yellow-bellied sapsucker tapped the Sun side of one of my Maple trees--however outside of winter the sap would flow regardless so they mightn't care then.

So, in Winter look for fresh sapsucker holes, in Spring look for bird migrations flying overhead, in Summer look for that species nests and in Fall the migrations.

OK, I'm all set! (With my compass attached to my caching gear...)

Randy