Which GPS Device?

Guest Cybo

Guest Cybo

Hi

Which GPS Device Should I Save Up To Get? Im Only 11 Years Old, So I Want One That Can Average Waypoints And Is Affordable In Canadian Dollars. Im Thinking Of Trying To Save Up For A Garmin E-Trex GPS, But Im Not Sure. Thanks!

Guest cache_ninja

unfortunately no, it doesnt, the fancy ones with maps built-in are kinda expensive, and often the cds(w/maps) you need to buy for them are 100$+(usd). but ton of people have the extrex or other non-map units like the magellan 315. they are perfect for geocaching, finding your way in the woods or water, and well, marking any spot on the earth.. i think many people tend to use the map ones for driving, if you go hiking you'll wind up needing a good topo map with trails anyway, although they do keep updating the cds and stuff, you might not really need one w/maps right now...

c/n

Guest bunkerdave

y, I bought it in the US. I don't know if they have a software update or if they sell different software with the GPS in Canada. By the way, if you get the Magellan MAP 330X kit, then the price - between $250 and $300 USD - includes the map software, the cable to connect to your home computer, and a cradle to hold it in the car. Not that you will need that for a little while.

Guest sabat

> Does The Etrex Have Maps Of Canada On It?

There is actually more than one model of eTrex. The ones with maps (Legend and Vista) do include Canada:

The standard map coverage includes:

Oceans, rivers, and lakes (greater than 30 sq. miles)

Principal cities and a small amount of smaller cities and towns

Major interstates and principal highways

Political boundaries (state and international borders)

C. Canada

In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

Lakes greater than 5 square miles (Southern Canada)

Lakes greater than 10 square miles (Central Canada)

Railroads

The eTrex Legend is about US$250. You don't really need the maps for geocaching, but they'd be fun to have around.

Guest bob_renner

I just placed a cache Saturday using my eTrex Legend. I had WAAS enabled and while I was sitting there taking readings, the displayed coordinates didn't change. I took several waypoints and when I checked them at home I noticed that only one had a different longitude reading, and only by 0.001 minute - the smallest amount displayed. IMO the averaging feature isn't needed IF you can use WAAS.

Also, I have seen the Legend on sale for about $210 at www.4x4books.com

Bob

Guest placeman

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

I just placed a cache Saturday using my eTrex Legend. I had WAAS enabled and while I was sitting there taking readings, the displayed coordinates didn't change. I took several waypoints and when I checked them at home I noticed that only one had a different longitude reading, and only by 0.001 minute - the smallest amount displayed. IMO the averaging feature isn't needed IF you can use WAAS.

Also, I have seen the Legend on sale for about $210 at www.4x4books.com

Bob

Were you out in the open? If not, I doubt that WAAS was even working on your Legend. I've had my Legend for a couple weeks and just yesterday noticed WAAS working. You can tell if it is working by looking for "D"s withing the signal strength of each satellite corrected by WAAS.

Guest Exocet

It's my opinion that any GPS unit that can average will be good enough, as long as you have good topo maps of the area.

It certainly helps to have maps on your GPS (I love 'em on mine) but it's not necessary at all. I use the maps on my GPS in conjunction with DeLorme's Oregon topo map w/ GPS grids on it for those distant caches.

As you get better with a GPS (and topo maps, if you choose to use them) I think you will find yourself relying on the GPS maps less and less. They are convenient and a good help no doubt, but they are not necessary. Good map skills will make up for no maps on the GPS unit.

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by placeman:

Were you out in the open? If not, I doubt that WAAS was even working on your Legend. I've had my Legend for a couple weeks and just yesterday noticed WAAS working. You can tell if it is working by looking for "D"s withing the signal strength of each satellite corrected by WAAS.

Yes I was in the open. I was on the top of a small mountain in the Phoenix area. There was no vegitation there other than small bushes shorter that I am. I had a perfectly clear view of the entire southern horizon. I was receiving WAAS 35 and all other regular sats had a D in the signal strength bars. WAAS was not only enabled it was functioning on my receiver while I was taking readings.

Bob

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Exocet:

It's my opinion that any GPS unit that can average will be good enough, as long as you have good topo maps of the area.

I agree. Averaging is usefull and was very helpful during the days of SA. My comment about using WAAS was directed towards those that may think the Legend is not as good as an averaging receiver. My experience with WAAS is that when it's working, you don't need averaging - at least as far as geocaching is concerned. You don't need both. Perhaps this is why Garmin chose to eliminate avaraging from their newer receivers which have WAAS.

Bob

Guest Iron Chef

by bob_renner:

I agree. Averaging is usefull and was very helpful during the days of SA. My comment about using WAAS was directed towards those that may think the Legend is not as good as an averaging receiver. My experience with WAAS is that when it's working, you don't need averaging - at least as far as geocaching is concerned. You don't need both. Perhaps this is why Garmin chose to eliminate avaraging from their newer receivers which have WAAS.

Bob

Seems to make sense why the new units don't do averaging if they have WAAS. I just wish that the gov would launch another WAAS bird. Sats 35 and 45 are too low on the horizon for some locations. Although I read somewhere that a new one will be put up into orbit sometime in the near future (think near future as in government time).

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 04 June 2001).]