hide vs. seek

Guest Guppy

Guest Markwell

My Garmin eTrex works really well for seeking. One of the nice features is that the units change as you get closer to the waypoint, always with 3 digits. You start off in miles (15.4 miles - then below 10.0 it changes to 9.99) then at 0.10 miles it changes to feet (520 feet - then 100 feet to 99.9 feet, then 10.0 feet to 9.99 feet).

For hiding, I wish I had a GPS that does automatic averaging. The longer you keep the GPS in one spot, the more accurate the reading is. With my eTrex, I have to walk away (100 feet or so), walk back, take another reading, and repeat this about 10 times. Then before posting, I average the coordinates. Kind of a hassle.

Guest MadGPS

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

My Garmin eTrex works really well for seeking. One of the nice features is that the units change as you get closer to the waypoint, always with 3 digits. You start off in miles (15.4 miles - then below 10.0 it changes to 9.99) then at 0.10 miles it changes to feet (520 feet - then 100 feet to 99.9 feet, then 10.0 feet to 9.99 feet).

For hiding, I wish I had a GPS that does automatic averaging. The longer you keep the GPS in one spot, the more accurate the reading is. With my eTrex, I have to walk away (100 feet or so), walk back, take another reading, and repeat this about 10 times. Then before posting, I average the coordinates. Kind of a hassle.

The MAG315 with the updated version 3.14 has the abilety of the count down to " 0 FT " and also has the averaging feature that comes on the minute you stop walking and pinpoints itself.

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by MadGPS (edited 29 May 2001).]

Guest MadGPS

quote:

The MAG315 with the updated version 3.14 has the abilety of the count down to " 0 FT " and also has the averaging feature that comes on the minute you stop walking and pinpoints itself.

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by MadGPS (edited 29 May 2001).]

Guest chipper

Seems kind of funny that someone would actually want averaging. That's most peoples complaints about the 315. I just set my 315 down on the site and give it about ten minutes to average the coordinates.

Guest Guppy

quote:

We just bought an eTrex today but it seems to be rather diffucult to become familiar with. Do you have any hints or is it just use it! I've taken it out for a walk down the street and that's it so far.

Guppy

Guest placeman

quote:
Originally posted by Guppy:

We just bought an eTrex today but it seems to be rather diffucult to become familiar with. Do you have any hints or is it just use it! I've taken it out for a walk down the street and that's it so far.

Guppy

Just like most gadgets, the more you play with it, the easier it will become. I have a Legend and picked it up rather quickly.