Vista to Legacy Mac connection

FamilyOuting

I've been unsuccessful getting my legacy Mac to communicate with my new Garmin eTrex Vista.

What I've got:

PowerMac 7500 upgraded to 604e & 9gig HD

OS 9.1

Virtual PC 3.0 with Windows 98

ADB to PC serial convertor

Garmin eTrex Vista with PC cable.

MapSource US Topo CD-ROM

I've loaded the MapSource software under VirtualPC/Windows 98. It runs and loads the maps. The Vista is connected with the supplied PC cable and adaptor into the ADB printer port (also tried the modem port). AppleTalk is turned off on the Mac. Virtual PC is configured for COM1 to the modem port and COM2 to the printer port, and I've tried the "non-modem" setting both checked and unchecked. The Vista interface setting is set to "Garmin". I think I've done everything right, yet I can't get the MapSource software to see the Vista, or communicate with it in any way.

Anyone else been successful, or have suggestions?

p.s. I also have a G4/450 Mac, but I'd need a USB to PC serial convertor first, and probably need to upgrade Virtual PC. I don't want to do all that if I don't have to. I just want to load maps from the Topo CD into my Vista.

Everything I know about Macs stopped with the Macintosh SE. Naturally I'll take a stab at this. Where I would focus my attentions is on your serial ports. Virtual PC is telling the Mac OS what needs to happen at the serial port. So you have what is in essence a firewall. You have to figure out what lets the information flow. It doesn't sound like a 'modem' port is what you need. Don't you have a plain old serial port setting? My GPS V also only works at 9600 baud. No other speed for some reason. that's another thing to check.

If you really have an ADB to serial adapter, that would be the wrong adapter. I think what you mean is the Mac serial (Mini-8) to PC Serial (DIN-9) adapter. The ADB is used to connect up the keyboard and mouse.

Okay, if you have the serial-to-serial adapter, it still may not work if you are using a Mac PDA adapter. My understanding is that the PDA adapters do not necessarily match up correctly for other serial devices. It sounds like you have the everything set up correctly in VPC, but I will do some checking around and see what I can find.