Baja Map Source(s)?

Tom SKP

I'm planning on taking the RV to Baja this winter for a couple of weeks of touring and caching.

I travel with laptop & tethered GPS, plus my Magellan Sportrak Topo.

Normally I use DeLorme USA or DeLorme Topo to find my way but they have no coverage for Baja. MS Streets & Trips only major roads. Magellan no help for Baja mapping either.

Soooo, what other source of mapping is available for my laptop for Baja that will have lots of detail roads and/or topo? Obviously, I would like the most for the lea$t. Ideal if it would work with my gps(s) but even a good computerized map would be good.

TIA

This is a bit of a challenge. One source is LandSat7 satellite images. You can get these by downloading NASA's World Wind software. World Wind gives you USGS photo and topo maps too, but not for Baja. The LandSat7 photo maps, visible and enhanced, are pretty amazing, and in Baja, show roads unobstructed by vegetation (duh!). Some of the "major towns" (like Guillermo Prieta :angry: ) are shown. You need to have a pretty stout Internet connection to download the software (253MB) and the images.

Next option would be my alma matter, the University of Texas's Perry-Castañeda Library map collection. Searching for "Baja California" took me to, among others, the Bajaquest RV page and the more interesting MapsofMexico.com page, giving pretty fair topo maps for each estado. (This link is to Baja California del Norte).

Another option (which I didn't try) is Berkeley's EART pages.

Edit: to spell "Castañeda" properly

Edited by Sputnik 57