Which Datum?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

When placing a cache, should I quote its location using the WGS84 or OSGB datum?

I know that there's a note on the GC website which says 'WGS84'. However, in my experience, I find other people's caches with my GPSr set to use OSGB datum, which makes me think that the convention amongst British cachers is to use a datum which makes more sense in relation to our OS maps.

Which is the correct option?

Dave

Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

When placing a cache, should I quote its location using the WGS84 or OSGB datum?

I know that there's a note on the GC website which says 'WGS84'. However, in my experience, I find other people's caches with my GPSr set to use OSGB datum, which makes me think that the convention amongst British cachers is to use a datum which makes more sense in relation to our OS maps.

Which is the correct option?

Dave

This sport only uses WGS84. Any caches using OSBG36 have incorrect coordinates.

It makes no difference what system OS maps use. The sport is intended to be played using GPS recievers, which all use the WGS84 datum as their native format. Any other datum means a loss of accuracy during conversion whether this is inside the unit or done externally using software on a computer or calculator.

If every country ignored the datum used in the GPSrs and instead used local map coordinate systems the sport would be unplayable by visitors from abroad. The sport haas been international from its earliest days.

If you are certain a cache has been placed using OSGB36 you should contact the cache owner to get the coordinates corrected as the majority of cachers, who are doing it properly, might have difficulties finding it.