Did anyone see the new HowStuffWorks article?

spiderlady

One of the articles Takes A Look At The GPS Receiver has all sorts of tech stuff and way down towards the bottom one of the links addresses "What can you do with a GPS and why would you want one?" It mentions hobbies and Games. Some of the ideas were VERY funny such as "being able to send your friends to EXACTLY the wrong location!" It's a good read! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers (1879-1935)

More than anything, the article makes me appreciate the thought and design that went into the handheld devices we use. They're doing some impressive math very quickly and very often to let us know where we are!

That, coupled with the constellations of satellites overhead, is a huge achievement.

That's pretty neat. I sort of knew how things worked but the explanation of how the receiver finds the distance from the satelites told me how the expensive models can get centimeter accuracy. Atomic clock anyone? Thanks for the article and another website to waste my time icon_wink.gif.

kc

row, row, row your boat