Iowa Deer Season Starts Saturday!!!

The Northwood Goonies

Thanks for the reminder Goonies. I live fairly close to the local Izaak Walton League in Ames. When I'm out walking, I hear a lot of gunshots from there. I think all the hunters are up there practicing! It kind of freaks me out, even though I know there's not much chance that they're shooting at me.

Anyhow, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

I will add that it is hunting season for various things here in Nebraska as well. Recently I got a log on one of my caches that is in a wildlife management (e.g. hunting) area that mentioned gun shots. I added a reminder to wear orange to the cache page. Another of my caches is disabled because the area is closed through dark goose season. So that one has to sit disabled until the end of January. :(

The name makes more sense after reading your profile. We have a similar team make-up. (Husband, Wife, Kid, Dog). I wish I could have gone to the Pizza get together to meet some of the local cachers. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next one.

To stay on topic for the thread, I have an orange vest on my request list from Santa. Currently I wear a bright yellow ISU stocking cap when I don't want to be mistaken for a deer. I also try to limit my walks to city parks where hunting is not permitted.

We have a brown and black dog. I need to get her some kind of bright-colored vest or bandana as well. That would probably be better than my current method of writing "I AM NOT A DEER" on her collar. :rolleyes: