That Other Site...

Pork King

You say it like its Navicache's fault there are no caches near you.....its not Navicache's fault, it the geocachers in the area. They made a choice, and the choice was they didn't want to list there. It doesn't mean Navicache shouldn't exist?

Its the same with Buxleys. If you like GC's maps..use them. If you don't, like I don't, then I would rather use Buxleys. Now, I wish there could be an agreement betweent he two parties to share information. It seems Ed Hall is ready to talk about it, is GC? Elias? Jeremy? Is this a legal issue? Then call a lawyer? If not, why not talk about it. Buxley's is been crippled for three months, and nothing has been said. Break the silence.

You say it like its Navicache's fault there are no caches near you.....its not Navicache's fault, it the geocachers in the area. They made a choice, and the choice was they didn't want to list there. It doesn't mean Navicache shouldn't exist?

Its the same with Buxleys. If you like GC's maps..use them. If you don't, like I don't, then I would rather use Buxleys. Now, I wish there could be an agreement betweent he two parties to share information. It seems Ed Hall is ready to talk about it, is GC? Elias? Jeremy? Is this a legal issue? Then call a lawyer? If not, why not talk about it. Buxley's is been crippled for three months, and nothing has been said. Break the silence.

Ahh, it doesn't take long to mix topics...

Before Keystone or one of the other mods comments... Elias will post an update on Buxley's maps when there is one. In the past week I can think of six or seven new topics (that have sense been closed) question this issue. Sit back and enjoy the snow. When there is an update, I am sure it will be posted here first...

I've visited some other geocaching sites, but generally found them wanting. Probably for the very reason that they don't have the user base, so it isn't worth the time/capital investment. I'm glad they exist though, I think there job right now is to keep Jeremy et al. honest. If ever Groundspeak were to do anything supremely stupid, I could see them growing in popularity, and usefulness very quickly.

The only reason I've opened a user account at tc.com is because I'm interested in seeing how a user rating system *might* work. I've always wanted a system in place where I could more or less cull out lame caches, but I'm not sure such a model is possible. We'll see... since I've been looking into other forums, I've become somewhat skeptical on that front, but that's just me. Other than the hope that such a system might up the quality of available caches, there is really absolutely nothing that would compel me to explore another site. I think gc.com is run very well and has coped remarkably with the pressures of growth. If anything, I plan to use the other site as a "supplement" to my enjoyment of this site--in the hope that it may afford me some good-quality caches. If such a user rating system proved functional, and was implemented here, it would take quite a lot to get me to look elsewhere.

As far as nc is concerned, well--tortuous and user-unfriendly doesn't begin to describe it. And oc, as far as I know, isn't even off the ground?

No--if this site is a behemoth, it is well-deserved. It will likely be the only real game in town for years to come.

Edited by Team Doggiewoggie