Entering Comments

Tinpanharry

There are two ways to do this that I am aware of, first using easygps right click on the waypoint you wish to add the comments too. This will bring up a few selections one will be edit waypoint. Click this and that will bring up a box that will allow you to edit all aspects of the waypoint, including adding comments.

The other way to add comments is right in the GPS.

Go to the database then user waypoints and select the waypoint in question. You can edit comment there as well.

Jim

GPSBabel will create comments with the full cache name from a .loc. From a GPX, it'll insert diff and terrain.

Like TotemLake (and probably for similar reasons) I've long thought the number was 30. I've recently had a discussion with JamieZ that seems to counter this. He seem to think the limit was raised to the low 40's in 5.x firmware. TL, can you confirm or deny this? (My plat is on loan and since neither my STMap or my 330 will do DR, there is no reason to incur the pain of 5.x in my book.)

Well whatta ya know. 44 characters and that's because that maxes out the comment box. However, only 43 is viewable in the display.

Ok - more experimentation...

I overtyped to 50 characters and this is what I found.

44 characters are shown on the comment box when you edit it.

43 are shown in the display when you view the waypoint

46 are shown when you select the waypoint when panning the map.

Edited by TotemLake

That's more-or-less what I've found.

Depending on the width of the characters you type into the comment field, as few as 24 might be visible, or you might see all 46.

However, even with wide characters such as M and W, all 46 are visible when you view the waypoint screen from panning the map.

Jamie

[edit] FW: 5.12

Edited by Jamie Z

I checked a 330 with 4.0 and a STMap with 4.03 and the limit in those is indeed 30, whether that's created by the keypad or via the serial port. GPSBabel (and thus, GSAK) will truncate comments on a write to 30 so testing on those is unproductive.

I wouldn't die of shock if long comments have issues with SD or Serial transmission. Dollars to donuts this limit was raised to allow DirectRoute's dynmically created waypoints that it uses for routing to display longer description for exit and turn info.

That's more-or-less what I've found.

Depending on the width of the characters you type into the comment field, as few as 24 might be visible, or you might see all 46.

However, even with wide characters such as M and W, all 46 are visible when you view the waypoint screen from panning the map.

Jamie

[edit] FW: 5.12

Yah that makes sense. I did a series of 1's through 5's to keep easy count of how many characters were in use.