WHICH GPS (again and again) to purchase

coolh2os

Ok folks, need to know where I can get some answers on which GPS unit to buy for a newbie.

My questions include, I just want to find cache around my home area for now sp do I need the ones with maps?

Do some work better in wooded areas than others?

Ho bout screen size and definition for a 57 year old.

My PC is 5+ yrs old, I have read about downloading maps stuff onto the unit, is this necessary?

I just want to go to a spot and check out screen and see if the coordinates match the directions without having to stand on my head.

I would even call one of you experienced "cachers"for info.

tks for time reading this. icon_eek.gif

I started GeoCaching about a month ago and use the basic yellow garmin etrex. It was $99 dollars and has worked great for me so far. There is no need to download maps and such unless it's just something you want to do. I do, however, use easyGPS to download my cache locations to the garmin from the geocaching website, but it's not at all required. I think I'll be getting a powercord for the car in the near future as well.

I have had an instance or two of reception getting flakey under heavy cover, but it was nothing that would stop the hunt. The unit is about the size of a mobile phone, it's submersable(sp) for the accidental drop in a puddle, the batteries last me about 10 to 12 hours continuous on.

Hopefully you'll get more good info on other units and be able to make a good decision.

Unfortunately I have no expierence with other makes.

Chip

I was very pleased with how my yellow eTrex held its own against Garmin IIs and IIIs (and 1 Magellan 300). As I watched people and saw how they were accessing features I was real glad I have my yellow eTrex. What it lacks in mapping features is more than compensated by ease-of-use, ruggedness, light weight, etc.

Be Seeing You!