First cache placement

WARTIDE

Well, my wife and I now have a few finds under our belts (and a couple of not founds). We especially like the travel bugs and helping them on their journeys. However, lately we've been itching to start our own cache. Yesterday, I went to cheaperthandirt.com and ordered 3 50 caliber ammo boxes @ $3.97 each which seems like a good deal to me. I chose the ammo box due to the fact that the one ammo box cache we found so far was bone dry even after a lot of rain in the area. We also ordered four shiny new travelbugs from Groundspeak. Can't wait to get the containers and bugs and go shopping for the original cache stash.

One question I have is this, I was thinking about a good FTF prize. It just so happens that in my woodworking hobby I've started making lathe turned pens. I use one everyday and have given many away as gifts. Everyone loves them. This would make a good FTF prize wouldn't it? BTW, they cost about $7 in materials to make and are usually sold for about $15-$30 at craft shows.

So, if you are in the north Alabama area, watch for our first cache to be placed in the next couple of weeks.

Chiro

Thanks. The pens are actually very cool. I've never sold a pen, I just give them to family, friends, and colleagues as gifts. However, you can find some very nice ones for sale on ebay and on individual sites on the web.

I'll make sure and get a copy of the rules for cache placement before submitting my first cache for approval.

Chiro

Deckyon,

That's probably a good idea, but to tell you the truth I have a feeling that selling them would make it less fun for me. I'll tell you what though, as soon as I get the rest of my shop set up and do a little housekeeping (about a month from now) I'll contact you and send you a pen for your enjoyment. I doubt it will have a geocache logo, but you'll love it anyway.

Now don't all you "me-too's" start in on me. This is a one time deal.

I'll send you an email from your profile page and get your contact info.

chiro

quote:
Originally posted by chiro:

Deckyon,

That's probably a good idea, but to tell you the truth I have a feeling that selling them would make it less fun for me.

I know what you mean. I still enjoy making hiking staffs, but when I get backed up on orders it turns into a job rather than a hobby.

Good luck on your 1st cache hide.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

Exactly my thoughts El Diablo. BTW, I've looked at your staffs when referred to in some other threads. They are really nice and a thing of beauty. Are most of the staffs natural ones that you add designs and a finish to get the final product? Do you turn any of your staffs on the lathe?

Also, do you use a rotary tool for the designs and letters? Believe me, I'm not after trade secrets, I can't carve or engrave to save my life. I'm just interested in any woodcraft related items.

Chiro

chrio,

Most of my staffs are natural. I get them from the woods, cleared lots, etc... I cut them, cure them when fresh cut (about 2 months or longer), debarked them, and sand them. I don't turn them on a lathe. I have economy staffs that I buy which are wood dowels.

I use a variety of tools, depending upon the detail required. They range from rotary tools, engravers, belt sanders to a hand sanders. I even use tooth picks icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:
Originally posted by chiro:

One question I have is this, I was thinking about a good FTF prize. It just so happens that in my woodworking hobby I've started making lathe turned pens. I use one everyday and have given many away as gifts. Everyone loves them. This would make a good FTF prize wouldn't it? BTW, they cost about $7 in materials to make and are usually sold for about $15-$30 at craft shows....

Chiro

That would be a fantastic prize! Do you have any pictures of your handywork?

Unfortunately no, I don't have any pictures of the pens. However, I'll post a pen as soon as I get the next one made. Right now, my lathe tools are very dull. However, I've informed the wife I need a sharpening system and she's on board with the idea. New shop tools and geocaching, does it get any better than that?

I'll post a pic soon.

Chiro

Goucher,

Welcome to the forums! I am one of the moderators for the "Getting Started" forum.

Your question can be answered by reading the Geocaching Logo Terms of Use page. In summary, you can use Geocaching.com logos IF

(a) it is for non-commercial use;

(:D you do not alter the design in any way; and

© either you make less than 25 copies of the item (in which case permission is automatically granted) or you have written to ask Groundspeak for permission to use the logo on more than 25 items.

For commercial or other wider-scale efforts, such as El Diablo's official hiking staffs, special arrangements can be made with Groundspeak.

If you have detailed questions you can write to: logo at geocaching.com .

124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!