Help with Waypoints

CBayWolf

I understand what a waypoint is, and how it should be used, but I don't understand how I am supposed to convert the 6 character Waypoints listed on the cache pages into real coordinates. Do I need special software to do this, or should every GPS be able to interpret these waypoints. I have a Garmin Rino if that helps anyone.

2 that are near Baltimore, MD are:

GC5125 and GC7EE0- So how does my GPS know what to make of them.

Thanks for any help that you can give!

CBayWolf

Hi CBayWolf - The waypoint #GC5125 is an arbitrary number generated by GEOCACHING.COM, and, used for indexing. To input info just enter the coordinates (N39 17.868 W076 36.922) into your MAPSOURCE software program's "Edit / WayPoint" function and then U/L to your GPS. From that point, just jump into the car 'asking' your Rino to "GOTO" the selected WayPoint. Easy, huh? Take care.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the Rhino, but you may find this helpful (I hope). If you wish to input the cache manualy, just create a waypoint in your Rhino, then edit the waypoint's coordinates to match the north and west coordinates on the cache page. If you have a data cable you can download Easy GPS for free. There is a link on every cache page. Once you have Easy GPS, you can download waypoints directly from your "nearest caches" or individual cache pages. The real slick way to do it is become a charter member, and use the pocket query feature. This feature will send a user customized packet of caches to your email account that are ready to be loaded into your Rhino with Easy GPS.

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

My one cent opinion:

First...I'm not sure what you are asking. You are either entering the waypoints manually, in which case you hand enter the coordinates on the cache page....or....downloading them in which case the coordinates are automatic. So there isn't any 'conversion' of the 6 character waypoint names.

but enough of that...my one cent opinion....I know nothing of a Rino but if it can connect to a PC then do it, buy the cable if necessary. then get EasyGPS and load them into your Rino that way. It is WELL worth it....

If you have a lot of waypoints to enter it will save you in the order of 5.35 months of time. And even if you have only ONE waypoint, and you are anything like me, you're going to type one character wrong, or number, and then end up in Alaska while searching for the Pikes Peak Cache. With EasyGPS that error possibility is removed...which may spoil a little of the fun. icon_smile.gif - JamesJM

A PC interface cable is available for both the Rino 110/120. I would buy a cable, hook it up to you computer, download EasyGPS and just check off the geocaches for download on the GC.com web site. It's a lot easier and a lot more accurate (no mistakes by entering manually) and a lot quicker.

I am a fairly lotech kind of guy who earns his living with fire and knives so I just manually enter the coords into my etrex. I usually edit the name into something that is part of the cache name to help me keep them straight, unless I am going right to it, then I just use the default number the magic arrow thingy assigns. Happy Hunting. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane