International Benchmarking

ArtMan

I stumbled upon the Dutch Geocaching site, which also includes a Benchmark section.

I didn't have the patience to wade deeply into the inscrutable machine translation of the text, but I did notice photos of geodetic markers from Germany (left photo) and the Netherlands.

It does not appear, however, that the site has a master list of benchmarks from the Dutch equivalent of the NGS.

Three questions —

a. How many other countries have Geocaching sites?

b. How many of these feature Benchmarking in any way? And to what extent?

c. Has anyone collected links to international benchmark/geodetic sites?

~ArtMan

As a partial answer to your questions ...

I know of a Russian Geocaching site: GPS Geocaching

Currently I don't know of any international benchmark-hunting sites, though I'm sure they exist (and I'd be interested in the links, if anyone else can provide them).

I do have two international survey mark sites listed on my own website. These are databases of official information, not benchmark hunting games.

Canada Geodetic Survey Division

Institut Geographique National Datasheet Server (France)

~Zhanna

http://www.planetzhanna.com/

I know of a Russian Geocaching site: GPS Geocaching

Do I know Russian? Nyet! But I stumbled my way through some traditional and virtual caches, not just in Russia but also in nearby ex-SSRs such as Ukraine and Belarus. Not recommended in Chechnya, however. In some cases the photos were very enticing....

Anyone know if there any other countries with online topo maps on a scale similar to the quadrangle maps on topozone.com?

-ArtMan

With great pleasure I can announce that in the very near future we will have our benchmark site for the Netherlands up and running.

We have full cooperation with the "Kadaster" that takes care of our geodetic points.

We have a list of all current (5400 about) points with a precision (in the Dutch metric grid) of 1 meter. Also available to us are the texts describing the whereabout of nails etc. (in West wall, 2.35 m from North wall and 0.68 cm from ground.)

And we have all the (b/w) schetches of these points .

Also a communication line has been set up to inform them of damaged points because nowadays they have no emplyees to check on their condition regularly.

And our points are mostly tops of churchtowers etc. from the days before GPS.

There are about 410 GPS points now (with distances of about 10km) distributed in the country.

Further also in Belgium they do benchmark hunting.

http://www.geocaching.be/web/kernet/index.php