Topo Map Storage Sizes

beerbaron

hi all, im in the market for a gps for caching, hiking, skiing, and canoeing. i had a thread in the units and software question, but apparently this question is region specific.

im only interested in topo maps, how big of an area will i be able to store on.. say 10 mb. considering im using it mostly in berks and tioga counties. i really have no clue, would i be able to store a whole county? or the state? i will be moving to alaska in the summer :laughing: , but im pretty sure the maps for up there will have far less features and thus be smaller in size. thanks for your help. this is my main factor in my choice.

wes

Edited by beerbaron

I had an eTrex Legend, which is 8 megs and was able to store Mapsource Topo maps for most of northern NJ, much of southern NY (the Gunks, Harriman and the Catskills) and the southernmost portion of Vt.

Now I have a Vista (24 megs) and I have all of northern NJ, central NJ, NYC and eastern LI, eastern PA, most of southern NY from Albany to the NJ border, the Route 9 corridor in NY and southern VT south of Manchester, a little bit of norther MA and the area around my in-laws house from Erie PA to Dunkirk NY..

excellent thats the info im looking for. does anyone know what intervals the contours are on these topo maps? 2' , 10'?

to bad more gps dont have expandable storage thru sd cards. im stuck between the legend and the vista. i like the compactness of the etrex series. and the internal compass on the vista is pretty enticing. or however you spell that. :o

excellent thats the info im looking for. does anyone know what intervals the contours are on these topo maps? 2' , 10'?

to bad more gps dont have expandable storage thru sd cards. im stuck between the legend and the vista. i like the compactness of the etrex series. and the internal compass on the vista is pretty enticing. or however you spell that. :o

Expandable storage would be nice, but I've yet to see a need for it. I have maps for every place I frequent in my Vista. I guess if I travelled a lot, the expandable storage would be good.

If you have the money, go with the Vista. It's a pretty good deal these days. Office Max.com had it for $159 for a few weeks. It was a mistake, but they apparently sold a lot of them at that price before they caught it.

You won't see it that cheap, but a Vista now costs what a new Legend cost a year ago.

excellent thats the info im looking for.  does anyone know what intervals the contours are on these topo maps?  2' , 10'? 

to bad more gps dont have expandable storage thru sd cards.  im stuck between the legend and the vista.  i like the compactness of the etrex series.  and the internal compass on the vista is pretty enticing.  or however you spell that. :rolleyes:

Expandable storage would be nice, but I've yet to see a need for it. I have maps for every place I frequent in my Vista. I guess if I travelled a lot, the expandable storage would be good.

If you have the money, go with the Vista. It's a pretty good deal these days. Office Max.com had it for $159 for a few weeks. It was a mistake, but they apparently sold a lot of them at that price before they caught it.

You won't see it that cheap, but a Vista now costs what a new Legend cost a year ago.

yeah i missed that one. i would have been all over that. i really have to try and stay around 200 for the unit. then i have to figure out how i can afford the map software :rolleyes: