The Other Kind Of Logging

dingermcduff

It seems like often the best place to hide a cache is among the biggest trees. Of course, in this neck of the woods big trees mean logging. I've been nervous about where I place caches (I always use metal containers) because I am afraid of them being wrecked by logging activity.

If the logging was a thinning treatment I might notice the marked trees before the actual logging, but I might not see the boundary paint if it was a clearcut.

Does anyone have experience dealing with this? A cache totaled by cut trees or logging equipment? Clever ways to "loggerproof" caches. A logbook signed by amused/confused loggers?

Could a metal container in a hollow but live tree be a safety hazard for loggers?

ould a metal container in a hollow but live tree be a safety hazard for loggers?

I don't think loggers are interested in hollow trees.

Take it from someone who is from a family of loggers. If there is enough good wood around or above the hollow it will be cut and sold. If not then it may be dropped because it is a hazard to the workers logging the rest of the trees. This may be mandated by state Industrial Safety laws.

When I was 14 I helped my dad cut down a 13 foot diameter cedar tree, it had a 4 foot hollow but that left 4 1/2 feet of good old growth wood around the outside for shingles and cedar siding everyone wants.

I don't know about Minnesota but around here there are timber sale signs and cutting boundary signs posted all the way around an area to be cut. But one would have to check once a month as a minimum to see if the area around a cache was scheduled for harvesting.

I recently found out that an ammo box can survive being run over by a bulldozer :laughing:

September 14 by shooter206 (117 found)

It turns out that this area is about to be developed. They sent a bulldozer through the other day and tore a road through the center. A couple were walking thier dog along the dozed path, and found this ammo box that had been dug up and ran over.

Well, to make a long story short, she followed the directions on the side and contacted me. I went to her house and picked the cache up. I was pleasantly suprised to discover that an ammo box can be run over by a bulldozer and still survive.

She was very exited about finding the cache, so I opened it up for her, so she could see what was inside. While she was looking through the contents, I explained a bit about caching.

She ended up sighning the log and leaving a "Michigan" quarter. We may have a new convert.