postong a new cache closer than 1/10 mi from one other

SuMo Cyclist

The cache has been located on a small island in the middle of Tomales Bay and extremely inaccessable. I was FTF the Hog Wild cache which had been there since November '02, 4 months later. Saturation should not be an issue. I don't think that the island is even 528 ft long. To access the cache, from the Hog Wild cache, one needs to walk around a point and down the same beach on the other side, not directly across as the seagull flies. To locate the cache at the far side of the island would invite traffic and vegitation disturbance across the upper natural areas of the land. It is placed in a location very respectful to the area.

I will go back with my boat and relocate it if need be but I sincerely request that you approve it as located.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

Im told that you can get around the .1mi limit if the cache caches are seperated by rivers, cannons, etc.

Are we talking about Big cannons like 105mm Howitizers or smaller ones like handguns! Sorry , it had to be done!

icon_wink.gif

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

What you wrote sounded like it should have been an e-mail to a cache approver, assuming you had a cache denied because of proximity.

Or was this a rhetorical question?

Yes, as previously discussed in these forums the cache approvers as a rule won't post caches closer than .1 mile. However we take the time to use this site http://www.wcrl.ars.usda.gov/cec/java/lat-long.htm to calculate the distance in decimal miles than multiply by 5280 to see a distance in feet. We get a significant number that are under 100 feet which we really can't post.

If something is under .1 mile but there's a river, a chasm, or a cliff between them that's certainly taken into account.

erik - geocaching.com admin

quote:
Originally posted by Darkmoon:

quote:

Im told that you can get around the .1mi limit if the cache caches are seperated by rivers, cannons, etc.

Are we talking about Big cannons like 105mm Howitizers or smaller ones like handguns! Sorry , it had to be done!

icon_wink.gif

Big ones of course! Only the big ones like 155mm would deter some of these geocachers, otherwise it would be too easy to get to from another cache. Which is the point of having a distance limit right?

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:

quote:

quote:

icon_wink.gif

Big ones of course! Only the big ones like 155mm would deter some of these geocachers, otherwise it would be too easy to get to from another cache. Which is the point of having a distance limit right?

http://brillig.com/geocaching/http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/22008_1700.gif http://www.gpgeocaching.com/

and I am cracking up over this image in my head of some poor cacher looking down the barrel of a big cannon!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

quote:

and I am cracking up over this image in my head of some poor cacher looking down the barrel of a big cannon!

Just how is it that we end up with all thse empty ammo cans. Do you feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?

(fortunately I'm not as fierce as my avatar. icon_wink.gif )

quote:
Originally posted by SuMo:

The cache has been located on a small island in the middle of Tomales Bay and extremely inaccessable. I was FTF the Hog Wild cache which had been there since November '02, 4 months later. Saturation should not be an issue. I don't think that the island is even 528 ft long. To access the cache, from the Hog Wild cache, one needs to walk around a point and down the same beach on the other side, not directly across as the seagull flies. To locate the cache at the far side of the island would invite traffic and vegitation disturbance across the upper natural areas of the land. It is placed in a location very respectful to the area.

I will go back with my boat and relocate it if need be but I sincerely request that you approve it as located.

Let me see if I've got this right.

You've got an island in the middle of Tomales Bay. The island is not even 528 feet long, so it's a *really* small island. If the island were circular and 528 feet across, the cache would be almost exactly 5 acres. From the map, it looks to be about 425 feet long and 200 feet wide and roughly rectangular, so that it has an area of 1.8 acres. If you planted a cache at the farthest reach of the island I'm guessing it would be about 400 feet away. Since you planted your cache 'around the point' I'm guessing it's probably about 100 feet away.

I think that's just too close!

The Hog wild cache has been on the island since the end of last November (2002) and so far has had exactly one visitor - you.

From your log on Hog Wild I understand that you planted this cache in memory of your father, but I think you need to be realistic and admit that planting two caches 100 feet apart and on an island only 425 feet long is probably one too many caches for this nice spot.

However, from the aerial photos it looks like there's another island, some 250 feet SE of the one in question. Putting the cache there would not only increase the distance beyond .1 mile, it would put it on another island. Sounds like an excellent spot for another cache!

icon_geocachingwa.gif