76c Geocaching Mode

Bateau

The reviews of 76c did not underestimate the uselessness of the manual. Could anyone with 76c enlighten me about the geocaching capabilities of the unit?

I can see that geocaches are basically waypoints with specfic icons for found/not found. There is a geocaching setup menu which allows me to configure those icons and it claims that a calendar entry can be created when geocache is found. So far so good. So now we got o "Find" menu and select geocaches. I get a list, pick one and go to it. Suppose I found it, how do I mark it as found? There's no obvious menu option in the waypoint screen to mark it as "found geocache". After some fiddling I figured that if I change its icon to the "found geocache" icon, then it no longer appears in the "Find nearest geocaches" screes. I guess that's correct since the cache was found. However, there's no calendar entry.

So it's not horrible, but certainly doesn't quite work as the manual leads me to believe. Am I missing something or is my understading of the unit's geocaching behavior correct?

First, you may have your GPSr set to “Follow Road”. Geocache mode only works when in the direct route mode. This is set on the Menu/Setup/Routing page. I set both “Guidance Method” and “Follow Road” options to “Prompted” This way when I want auto routine I can select “Follow Road” and when I get to the search location I can Select “Direct”. With “Direct” mode selected when you press “GOTO” with on the Waypoint Page it will open the Geocache Mode Page, which has a button “FOUND” when you select this it changes you Icon to what ever you have set for GEOCACHE FOUND.

Hope this helps

Cache Well.