What does it mean to project a waypoint and how is it done?

DAKOTA4X4

Can someone explaine to me how you project a waypoint with the garmine etrex camo as i dont fully understand from how they describe the procedure in the manual?Eg can you enter Lad + lond co ordinates then hit go-to and the gps will show the way?Thanks to all who can explaine this more clearly.Yours truely DAKOTA4X4.

Projecting a waypoint is a way of creating a new waypoint in relation to a previous one. For example, you enter to coords of the first leg of a multi-cache into your GPS and then go find it. When you get there, the instructions tell you that the second leg is 500ft away on a bearing of 270 deg true. So you select the "Project a waypoint" option, enter 500 for the distance(assuming your GPS is set for feet), and 270 for the bearing (assuming you set your GPS to use true bearings),and hit "GOTO". Now you go and find the second leg. Repeat as necessary. icon_wink.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Projecting a waypoint is a way of creating a new waypoint in relation to a previous one. For example, you enter to coords of the first leg of a multi-cache into your GPS and then go find it. When you get there, the instructions tell you that the second leg is 500ft away on a bearing of 270 deg true. So you select the "Project a waypoint" option, enter 500 for the distance(assuming your GPS is set for feet), and 270 for the bearing (assuming you set your GPS to use true bearings),and hit "GOTO". Now you go and find the second leg. Repeat as necessary. icon_wink.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Thanks Unclerojelio that explained it very well.Is there a way to go to a place you have never been eg.Like looking at a topo getting the lad + lond, entering this into your gps, hitting go-to and haveing the gps show you the way when you leave the truck on foot or atv?Thanks again.DAKOTA4X4 icon_cool.gif

Thanks Unclerojelio that explained it very well.Is there a way to go to a place you have never been eg.Like looking at a topo getting the lad + lond, entering this into your gps, hitting go-to and haveing the gps show you the way when you leave the truck on foot or atv?Thanks again.DAKOTA4X4 icon_cool.gif

You don't need to project to do that. Just take the coordinates off of the map. Create a waypoint with those coordinates. When you get out of the truck just hit "go to" and navigate to the spot.

One word of caution though. If you care taking the cordinate from a 7.5 quad, chances are they Datum is NAD27. You must set the Datum in you GPS to NAD27 otherwise the place wil be diferent then where you want toi go. Remember to reset the GPS back to WGS84 DATUM when your done - most coornates including those listing in geocaching.com in in DATUM WGS84.

ALan