Pros And Cons Of This Case?

Yeah I've noticed those type of cases have a tendency to do that. What I do is use a PDA screen protector. I cut it to the exact dimensions and it works flawlessly.

I've noticed that the Glisson case has a nice clip, that'll attach well to a lanyard.

Does anyone know if the clip is made of plastic or metal?

My experience with cases of this type has been good apart for a few when the clear plastic cover was making controlling the buttons less than friendly.

Edited by Yogi The Bear

I'm kind of a case geek (see linky link below) but I have a different concern with the clear vinyl coverings. If they get near bug spray, they develop a haze that never goes away. Granted if my $15 case gave its life to save my $300GPS it was worth it, but it's still really annoying. But I'd never buy a case that didn't have the clear window - after all, if you wanted the GPS exposed, why have a case? I wish I could find something that protected the GPS _and_ didn't react so badly to trace elements of the one substance it's almost certain to contact.

Besides, it's hard to explain to Mom "sure, this deet is kid-safe" when she asks "isn't that the stuff that eats plastic?"

Here's another thread on GPSMAP 76 cases:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...topic=45709&hl=

I have this case:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail.asp?product_id=BE200

and have never had any problems with dust, sand, grit, etc... getting in and scratching the screen. and the gps has been dumped in surf while kayaking (where there was sand all around), taken hiking, backpacking, etc... the screen still looks brand new when i pull it out of the case.

so i'd definitely recommend a case for your shiny new gps to protect it.

I've never used that case , but I try not to get cases that have that clear plastic on a screen it tends to scratch your screen with a little dust. but if it were open then I would probably get it.

Go to your local office supply store that sells PDA Screen Protectors, preferably the new PalmOne (they're clearer and thicker) Universal screen protector package.

I'd steer clear of Belkin (they're not that clear).

After your purchase, cut the screen protector to fit your GPSr and you're in business. No problems with screen scratches after that!

Hope this is useful.

Warm regards from,

I like that case as it seems to hold the GPS upright when clipped to a d-ring on a backpack. Is that how you carry yours normally? How does it do picking up a signal when attached to a backpack strap?

Any other cases that hold the unit upright? I saw one with a clip but it would hold the unit upside down.

Thanks.

Here's another thread on GPSMAP 76 cases:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...topic=45709&hl=

I have this case:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail.asp?product_id=BE200

and have never had any problems with dust, sand, grit, etc... getting in and scratching the screen. and the gps has been dumped in surf while kayaking (where there was sand all around), taken hiking, backpacking, etc... the screen still looks brand new when i pull it out of the case.

so i'd definitely recommend a case for your shiny new gps to protect it.

That's a nice case. The clip would definately help with holding the unit right side up. Does the case have a place to attach a lanyard to it too? I could connect one end of the lanyard to the case and the other to my backpack. That way I can let go of the GPSr in case I need to use both hands in a moment's notice.

Edited by Yogi The Bear

I bought some Palm PDA screen protectors off EBay - got a dozen of them for $1.50. I checked out the same thing at one of those chain office supply stores and they wanted $16 for the package. Works great. My 76CS really takes a beating in the Idaho woods, I've taken some nasty spills while holding it already. I've got the 60C/76C template for cutting them to size if anyone needs it.

I've got cases very similar to that (not that brand) for both my GPS76 and my Rino120 and I like them a lot!

I bought one for my GPS76 first and used it for several months before buying the Rino. As soon as I ordered the Rino, that case was the first accessory I started looking for.

There is one other issue to consider other than just protecting the screen. I also find that the case provides much better grip on the GPS. It is far less likely to slip out of my sweaty hand in the heat; or my wet hand in the rain or snow.

Bottom line: I would really hesitate to take my GPS out in the woods without one. Very cheap insurance.