Older Gps

mr_and_mrs_mo

I was given a Magellan Blazer 12, and we have found 4 using it...but I am curious about what to do with the last number in the waypoints, as the older model we have only has two decimal places instead of three. Should I round the last number? Or should I just drop the last number.

example:

would you say .11 or just drop the six and enter .10?

The third decimal corresponds to roughly six feet in N-S direction. In E-W direction it depends on the latitude. It's approximately six feet times the cosine of the latitude. At 45 degrees that's about 4 feet.

To use UTM coordinates as suggested is the best alternative. Otherwise it doesn't really matter if you round off or truncate. In both cases you have the correct location within a rectangle that's 60 feet N-S and 40 feet E-W. If you have rounded, you're at the center of the rectangle. If you have truncated, you're at the SE corner (presuming lat is N and long W). Of course, also presuming that the internal precision of your unit is better than the displayed figures. If it displays UTM coords with one meter resolution, it should be.

I did read that thread, actually. My question wasn't really answered though, because the general concensus was to post the coordinates he had and ask the ftf to post their coordinates so he could edit the cache page. Since he was placing the cache, not finding it, he would not need to truncate or round, so it didn't help me too much.

Thanks for all your answers. We have been able to find the caches without too much difficulty, so it puts us in the ballpark. I have been truncating the last digit, I think I will round it now.

I don't know what UTM coordinates are, and it isn't in the glossary on the geocaching.com, so I will do a search of the forums and see if that helps.