Using Official Groundspeak Icons In 3rd Party Sw?

Treasure Bandits

If you're making a product for others, you can do better than the icons there, and since your product isn't associated with Groundspeak or geocaching.com, why would you want to use their icons?

If it's for your own personal use, who'd know? Some GPSr's allow you to upload custom waypoint images. "reillustrating" them could be as simple as just scaling them down. If my personal database and/or GPSr just happends to display icons that resemble (because they're derivated works of) icons from the http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx page, and I happen to let friends use them, then I'll be sure to add "Icons used without permission of Groundspeak" somewhere in its documentation.

That's very well done and exactly the sort of thing I had intended to do; but I'd want to post a note in it to mention it is a derived work with the note "Icons used without permission of Groundspeak".

That's the sort of content that if offered as a premimum membership would make it worthwhile. Geocaching (with a GPSr) is relatively young and will continue to grow for decades to come. It is right that Groundspeak retain its copyright to those images, but allowing third-party developers to use them with proper credit would promote Groundspeak and geocaching.com. Posting or using them without any mention of their origin dilutes the value of them to Groundspeak somewhat.

I'm glad to see that someone made use of them even after being told "No.", but I'd still like to see them credited for creating them.

Actually, I believe that they re-illustrated them, modifying them to indicate found, DNF, and not searched, or something like that. They had to be re-illustrated into a format that the GARMIN accepts, using the Garmin provided program referenced by robertlipe called ximage.

I think that Jeremy is being very accomodating in letting you re-illustrate them.

Cache Well

Yes, like that, though it still has the same concerns that I had in that very thread. Those are clearly derived works and from the message above, it looks like that isn't allowed. Those icons were clearly not started from scratch.

I don't think a copyright violation can be cured by saying "used without permission" and scaling and overlaying isn't the same as creating an independent work.

It's not my call. But I know which side has laywers on staff, so I wouldn't taunt this happy fun ball in my own works...

If some graphically inclined person wanted to make a set of icons that were clearly public domain (and thus unencumbered) and share with others, I still think that'd be groovy.