sorry in advance for this rant

MattandLaura

New to the game? Feel free to ask questions here. We're glad to help!

That is the desciption for this topic. This is a group for newbies just starting out. Why do people feel the need to write the response (not word for word),"It already been covered", "Do a search" and some get more rude than that. I can understand that comment in other groups but personally nothing would turn me off of a new hobby more than a rude person. If a repeat question offends somebody so much then don't answer it, or point the newbie to a FAQ of the forum. I bet money that everybody in these forums at one time or other had a repeat question.

OK done now...thanks

icon_confused.gificon_redface.gificon_mad.gif

geosigbuscard.jpg

I have to agree. If you don't want to respond to the newbie topics, then disregard them.

And yes, I'll be adding ClayJar's FAQ to the list shortly. Hopefully that will alleviate many of the duplicate requests.

Not everyone knows how to search the forums. Let's give the newbies a break and welcome them.

Jeremy

ClayJar's or mine? icon_wink.gif

My silly rant of a couple months ago aside, I do enjoy helping out newbies. That's the real reason I have had so many posts. I can't tell you the astronomical number of REALLY BASIC QUESTION e-mails I get.

Most recent was "How do I archive a cache?" They felt embarassed to ask that question on the boards, but in looking at the cache information, it doesn't really say how - and this cacher just didn't see the link.

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

This was a really big problem over in the TiVo forums, especially in the area where people suggested new features. The same 5 came up constantly, and it got to where I'd quit going in there. The solution was in their new forum software, which allowed "sticky" topics that always stayed at the top of the list. A simple one-message "Read this before you post" topic that was ALWAYS there did wonders for the repeat posts. We actually get new features suggested now!

Any chance we can do something like that here?

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Markwell, do you have a link somewhere with info I can add as well?

Jeremy

Sorry for the LLLOOONNNGGG URL, but here it is:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/markwellgcfaq.htm

I also have a section on Averaging at:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/markwellcacheaverage.htm

But I know there's a mathematical error in the calculation of the surface area, and this topic is a little more subjective (hence the non-inclusion in the FAQ section which has clear-cut answers).

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

I have a lot of sites that I frequent. One never ever, ever mention, that's been talked about before do a search. The other site that's all they say.

Now if someone doesn't like a question just don't answer it.

I kinda like the search because when I get bored with the topics I just go to search. icon_razz.gif

• If there's a difficult spot to hide a cache I'll find it