Scottish Forestry Commission

I think that Scottish cachers will be interested to know that Geoki asked for and received permission to place a cache on forestry land in Aberdeenshire (Bennachie Booty).

With permission, I will repeat what Geoki told me:

"I spoke to someone at our local forestry office who then asked someone

further up. We had to follow strict instructions about placing the cache,

including providing them with the grid co-ords of the proposed placement

before we actually put this in situ. They also didn't want the cache off of

the set walks as future forestry works could put the public at risk, also as

Bennachie is an archaeological monument in areas we weren't allowed to place

the cache any where near these areas. We worked closely with the map sent by

the forestry and the local office. We are hoping that as we have gone about

this the correct way that in the near future we will be able to set up some

more within this area."

Maybe this will set a good precedent for the placement of other caches on forestry commission land in other parts of Scotland.

permission to place a cache on forestry land

Well done, Geoki -- and thanks FoF for telling us about his/her success.

What, exactly, do you mean by "forestry land"?

Most forested land in Scotland is either privately or corporately owned. Almost none of it remains in Forestry Commission ownership after the privatisation push of the Thatcher/Blair administrations

"our local forestry office"

Which firm owns/runs his/her local forestry office?

Almost all of the major privately and corporately owned estates in Aberdeenshire have their own "forestry office", often but not always incorporated into the factor's office of the general estate management.

We should never ever presume that forestry in the Highlands of Scotland is run by what you call the "forestry commission"(sic), FoF.

In fact, a miniscule percentage of Scotland's landmass area is owned and managed by the Forestry Commission. The rest is in private or corporate hands.

Sorry to be picky, but could you please clarify exactly who you mean by "forestry office" in this isolated case?

Did you mean Forest Enterprise?

In any case, congrats to Geoki for negotiating a good deal which will undoubtedly benefit all of us who love to geocache in woodland -- and thanks for bringing it to our attention, FoF.

Cheers, The Forester

Like the Forester, I'm slightly confused ( may be "wee goldie" induced in my case )

To the best of my understanding, there is limited restriction on public access in Scotland...see Scotways

though there are exceptions ..damage to arable areas ....MOD property ....foot and mouth etc. and the landowner has the right to insist that you leave (if justified)

( but it requires a court order to prevent your return )

So I'm at a loss to understand why permission needs to be sought from whatever forestry group manages the land .....

Forester - If you look at the cache it states that it is on 'Forestry Commission' land and that permission was obtained to place it. If you want further information, I suggest that you contact the cache placer direct. I thought that the title of the thread would show that I was talking about Forestry Commission land. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

As I understand it, but I may be wrong FFB, public access is different from doing something to the land like placing a cache.

Edited by Firth of Forth

No thanks , I dont want further information , the basis of my question was on the need for permission in Scotland .

From the information I have looked at , the exceptions are based on damage to property , and the onus is on the owner to prove this ....

I would struggle to believe that leaving a plastic box could be construed as criminal damage .....but I'll stand corrected if any qualified expert in Scottish Land Law refutes it ...

If you look at the cache it states that it is on 'Forestry Commission' land

FoF,

I responded to your post, which copiously included direct quote(s).

You mentioned "on forestry land ".

I did not second guess you by doing any further research before asking my very reasonable question on the forum.

I merely asked you for clarification of what *you* meant by what you called "forestry land" on this forum.

If you mean that all "forestry land" is Forestry Commission owned land, then I now know what you mean.

Thankyou for clarifying.

Thanks also for drawing this important success in bringing geocaching to respectability in the eyes of one important landlord in Aberdeenshire to our attention. Actually, that was the point of my post.

Cheers, The Forester