Is It Possible To Stay On Topic

5¢

Anyone else attempting to intentionally derail this thread will receive a 3 day moderation on your posting ability. That include but is not limited to quoting someone else's previous off topic comments.

Its not cute and its not funny.

Play nice: It is NOT your sandbox.

Suspend me, then. You are seriously starting to get up my nose, Pony Boy.

There's a difference between topic drift, which is a normal part of conversation, and deliberately derailing a topic. If the topic drifts, you can usually pull it back on track with a relevant post.

If it’s deliberate derailing you’re asking about, it's a lost cause, because some people are narcissistic. They don't care about anyone but themselves and what THEY want at the moment (a higher post count, to share their unrivaled "wisdom" or sophomoric wit with the world, to talk about what they want to talk about, etc). They don’t even think about what others are trying to accomplish (a good conversation), much less care. Their comments are funny sometimes, but that misses the point, doesn't it? (I love a person who can make an on topic post and generate a laugh at the same time - those are truly clever people who are a welcome addition to any forum!).

Narcissists believe that they’re in the majority in any community (they are a legend in their own mind), and anyone who disagrees with them is in the (inferior) minority - hence the personal attacks and slurs against various groups.

It's a sad fact of life - unfortunately, you can't control other people. Best to try to control your reaction to it, i.e. "get over it, or die mad". Console yourself with the knowledge that when they're posting in a forum, they're not sharing the road with you (now that's really something to worry about). If all else fails, take a break from the forums before you burn out.

They don’t even think about what others are trying to accomplish (a good conversation), much less care.

Conversations always drift. Good conversations meander all over the landscape.

A conversation that doesn't drift is a lecture with a question period at the end.

Which is a good thing in its own way, it's just not a conversation.

You must have missed the first sentence in my post: "There's a difference between topic drift, which is a normal part of conversation, and deliberately derailing a topic". My points about narcissists were directed at those who deliberately derail, not normal convesation drift.

My points about narcissists were directed at those who deliberately derail, not normal convesation drift.

Perhaps I'm dense. I've never noticed that happening. I've been here six months, and this is the least hostile forum I've ever participated in.

Including the camera forum and that sad one about hereditary kidney diseases.

You must have missed the first sentence in my post: "There's a difference between topic drift, which is a normal part of conversation, and deliberately derailing a topic". My points about narcissists were directed at those who deliberately derail, not normal convesation drift.

Thank you. Those are the people I was addressing.

KRN has gotten his answer many times over. There is nothing left but to go off topic, unless you want to beat a dead horse. How many opinons do you want? This has to be the first time I've ever seen a poster threaten to bring in a mod. :blink:

Do yourself a favor KRN and close this topic.

El Diablo