"vortech Re-radiating Antenna Booster"

Lucanos

Hi All,

I have recently become aware of a product from Vortech which is designed to help boost the reception of GPSr units which have patch antennas (ie Garmin eTrex series) when used in a vehicle (requires 12V power supply).

Related Websites:

WalMart Catalogue Listing

FreshTracksMaps.com Catalogue Listing

I have not been able to find any independant reviews on this item, and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them?

Are they any good? Worth the investment?

Thanks

Luke

I haven't used that model, but I have a portable reradiating antenna from PC-Mobile that is an excellent piece of equipment. It works great in a vehicle or while walking through the woods under lots of canopy. It uses AA batteries instead of the 12V power, so you can walk with it, and the batteries seemingly last forever. It uses very low current, and I can use a set of NiMH rechargeables for a month of geocaching. I recharge them now and then, just because, but the power light is still bright after several weeks.

The prices for the ones you list are very high. The PC-Mobile antenna is under $50, so those are twice the price with half the utility.