Garmin Vs Meridian Reception, Please Comment!!!

For those of you that have experience. These 2 units are in my price range.

I have heard that Garmins reception is not usually as good as Magellans over all.

Can you please comment on that for me. Specifically on the 2 above models.

I have researched these a lot and am leaning toward the Legend only because of the lack of PC interface on teh explorist 200. However, I have heard that the Magellans have better reception in covered areas, in the car, etc.

Also, if you have a strong preference toward another model in this price range, suggestions are welcome.

PLEASE HELP, I want to order one ASAP.

The malcoms

The Legend usually has poor reception under heavy tree cover mainly because it has a small patch antenna. Most Magellans have quad helix antennas that have much better reception than the patch antennas in Garmin Etrex units. However, the Explorists are an exception. The Explorist models have patch antennas. I have no personal experience with them but it's quite likely that their reception is poorer than that of the other Magellans with quad helix antennas. From the Magellan line, I would recommend one of the Sportraks instead: price about the same, good reception, PC connection. From the Garmin line in this price range, the GPS 72 and the Rino 110 have good reception.