hey when you get to a cache...

Guest cache_ninja

Guest cache_ninja

out in the open, mine included. if its covered in leaves, hidden under something, had rocks or bark on top/in front of it, put it back! if you dont, it increases the likelihood a non-geocacher will stumble upon it and steal/plunder it. and well, it obviously not what the person who hid it had intended.

also, make sure you seal the container please.

i feel liek this stuff is common sense, but its not happening in my experience.

when you leave a cache, put it back _exactly_ as you found it, especially if you are the first person. thanks..

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 05 August 2001).]

Guest brokenwing

As long as we're on the subject, how do folks feel about doing a better job of hiding than when you found it? If, for example, the cache is not very well hidden when I found it, I'm always tempted to hide it like I would have if I hade placed it myself. I guess my assumption is that the last finder didn't rehide properly. Good idea or not? There is the possiblity that the cache placer didn't hide it that well to begin with, and may want it that way.

Thoughts?

brokenwing

Guest cache_ninja

yeah, thats hard to call/problematic. which is why i said, especially if you are the first person. if the first person just did their job, there wouldn't be any question for subsequent hiders where the cache is supposed to be. if its in the middle of the wilderness on a 4 hour hike, it might be that the cache owner/hider intended it to be easy to find once there... so as a general rule i would just stick with rehide it as you found it. unless you read in cache description somethign specific, ie its in a stump, and you find someone did somethign dopey and left it next to the stump. then i'd put it in etc..

Guest PharoaH

Re-hide the cache just as you found it - common sense until you realize that the last cacher or the one before them may not have re-hidden it the same way. The deciding factor? In my mind it is the difficulty rating. If the thing is a 1 or 2 difficulty, it better be at least partially visible.

The cache below is a 3.5 difficulty and there are lots of "not found" logs. Number 2 and number 4 are WELL HIDDEN. We covered them up just as they were covered. The logs specifically state "resist the urge to hide it any better than you found it". - My sentiments exactly!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3759

Guest brokenwing

I understand and agree with most of these comments, but there is another issue as well. I live a a pretty urban area. Quite a few of the caches are in areas where they could easily be stumbled upon. If I find one that I think is pretty exposed, and it's in an area likely to be seen, I feel a responsiblity to hide it better. If I don't, the cache may not be there much longer. (At least two of nine such urban caches I've done so far were within sight of a trail and visible to a passerby.)

O.K. to hide it better, or not? Keep in mind, I'm not talking about moving it, I'm just saying I might put more leaves around it, etc.

brokenwing

Guest brokenwing

Another possiblity. Original placer covers the cache with leaves, but over time environmental conditions like animals, rain, wind, etc. uncover, (or mostly uncover) the cache. There is no real way to know. A cacher comes along and hides it like he found it, uncovered. He didn't do wrong, he just put it back the way he found it...

brokenwing

Guest PharoaH

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

I live a a pretty urban area. Quite a few of the caches are in areas where they could easily be stumbled upon. If I find one that I think is pretty exposed, and it's in an area likely to be seen, I feel a responsiblity to hide it better.

This is a judgement call, so not everyone is going to agree. I think you are on the right path and I'm sure you would note what you've done in the log. I guess what I was trying to say earlier was that the cache should still be able to be found with the original cache description.

Guest Hawk-eye

I just came back from a "maintenance" run on my caches ... AMAZING ... it's like you read my mind ... I was going to post the same thing ... One of mine was originally half buried by a log ... covered with several pieces of bark and limbs ... there it was today ... sitting on top of the ground ... three sticks laid over it ... and the lid half on ... half off.

PLEASE ... JUST LEAVE IT LIKE YOU FOUND IT ... OR COVER A BIT BETTER ... as long as it is in the same spot ... and others can find it by the coordinates ... The idea of the game sort of goes away and it becomes a piece of trash laying around for anyone to find or take offense to its being there. PLEASE HELP THE CACHER WHO WAS KIND ENOUGH TO CREATE THIS FOR YOU TO FIND. A lot of us can't check our caches every week ... much less every time someone finds it.

I know I'm probably "preaching to the choir" here ... but I feel much better icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

I just came back from a "maintenance" run on my caches ... AMAZING ... it's like you read my mind ... I was going to post the same thing ... One of mine was originally half buried by a log ... covered with several pieces of bark and limbs ... there it was today ... sitting on top of the ground ... three sticks laid over it ... and the lid half on ... half off.

PLEASE ... JUST LEAVE IT LIKE YOU FOUND IT ... OR COVER A BIT BETTER ... as long as it is in the same spot ... and others can find it by the coordinates ... The idea of the game sort of goes away and it becomes a piece of trash laying around for anyone to find or take offense to its being there. PLEASE HELP THE CACHER WHO WAS KIND ENOUGH TO CREATE THIS FOR YOU TO FIND. A lot of us can't check our caches every week ... much less every time someone finds it.

I know I'm probably "preaching to the choir" here ... but I feel much better icon_biggrin.gif

Guest PharoaH

o continue this a little further...

We all seem to agree that cachers should try to re-hide the cache the same it was done originally and that it is OK to "fix" the hiding method for that goal. I am really interested because I have 2 caches ready to go, pending approvals. To that end:

It seems to me that caches with a description of the way the cache was originally hidden will be the ones that will be re-hidden properly. Pictures would even help.

Am I on the right track here? I think that's the way I'd like to handle my (future) caches.

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by PharoaH:

It seems to me that caches with a description of the way the cache was originally hidden will be the ones that will be re-hidden properly. Pictures would even help.

Not really ... I have all that .. but still have the problem with having it rehidden ... actually ask that it be done in the cache description .... all we can really do is ask ... but as we all know there are those that can't walk those last little steps to throw away a candy wrapper ... much less re-close the cache as found. Those are the ones that will cause the problem ... fortunately they are in the minority ... I hope.

Guest TNRonin

How hard is it to put directions with the cache to let the finder know how to replace it. That way you can take any questions out as to how it should be replaced. Heck you could even take a polaroid and stick it in the can so they will know. This would be for the reading impaired people. By the by, my nick on another board is hawkeye. LOL

Ronin

Guest Hawk-eye

Ronin

You're right ... it's not hard ... most of my collector cards show the cache hidden ... it's just that 1% out there that either don't care ... or what ever ... In our area ... I can narrow it down to two cachers ... see their log ... time to check the cache ... almost like clockwork. One of them ... I've visited cache sites right after they logged ... one uncovered ... one opened ...

So ... on the nickname ... you have a French and Indian War thing going as a kid as well?

Guest ErnieB

All this is fine, but...(there's always a but, isn't there?)... the thing that really frosts my cookies is when either the cacher or a cashee will hide the cache completely under pine straw or leaves or such in a manner that makes the object completely invisible to everyone without leaving a discernable clue as to its location other than the coordinates. Given the +/- 80 feet, you are looking at a sizeable block of material that would have to be uncovered to find it. If you are going to COMPLETELY HIDE the cache, leave some clue that narrows it down to a few meters, please. Nothing worse than hiking a great distance to find you needed to bring your rake! This is my one and only peeve with this great sport!

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by ErnieB:

.. the thing that really frosts my cookies is when either the cacher or a cashee will hide the cache completely under pine straw or leaves or such in a manner that makes the object completely invisible to everyone without leaving a discernable clue as to its location other than the coordinates.

I agree ... but I don't mind them completely covered or just well hidden ... as long as ... like said ... there is a clue, series of clues .. or a photo showing the key object to look for ... I haven't come across any caches ... yet ... that were just completely buried in a non-descript area ... usually there is a key hiding spot ... hollow stump, log ... cave ... something that ... by using your wits ... you can find ... makes it more of a chanllenge. What you're describing would amount to ... "dig up the whole area ... it's here somewhere!" tactics. I did come across one cache that was actually in the middle of a rock covered patch of ground ... but there were clues describing a particular layout of rocks and what to look for ... wasn't easy ... but fun.

What I don't like .... as I do this more and more ... are the ones that are too easy to find. Just there without much thought to placement. Fortunately ... I've only found two such caches.

Guest jc364

I like a cache that is completly hidden. I know of the cache that Hawk-eye is talking about. I was the first to find it. It was completly covered but if you looked at it you knew that bark and limbs didn't fall there in such an orderly fashion. I've read countless logs where cache hunters have written that they left a little bit of the lid showing to help the next hunter. If I wanted a little bit showing when I planted it I would have placed it that way!! I mean if they were smart enough to find it, what makes them think no one else is?

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by Lou C:

What has not been mentioned much so far is the responsibility of the owner. Once a cache is placed, the owner should periodically check the condition of the cache ...

Lou

I agree Lou ... read my first posting ... that's what tripped my trigger ... "I just came back from a "maintenance" run on my caches ... " when I found the cache ... abused ...

I try to securely hide my caches ... from accidental discovery ... but I give clues ... and photos ... just in case a seeker needs a little help. Tree cover is massive here on the east coast. I do want them to be found ... just a little effort. After all I don't want someone investing time & gasoline ... to be disappointed in their search ... wheither it's the neat little trail the cache is located on or the puzzle used to locate the cache.

I don't think laying out each little issue is the point here ... just a little responsibility to the cache you've just found ... don't leave the lid half off ... even if you found it that way. Don't leave it totally exposed ... when it's clear ... from the clues or whatever that it was intended to be secured. I know of one in NC that is suspended from a camo parachute cord about 22 feet up in a tree. It's obvious what the owner intended ... but the clues don't say look up in the tree ... that's part of the challenge.

My whole beef has been with folks that don't put things back ... sort of like me and the toilet seat (according to the wife)! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 08 August 2001).]

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by Lou C:

What has not been mentioned much so far is the responsibility of the owner. Once a cache is placed, the owner should periodically check the condition of the cache ...

Lou

I agree Lou ... read my first posting ... that's what tripped my trigger ... "I just came back from a "maintenance" run on my caches ... " when I found the cache ... abused ...

I try to securely hide my caches ... from accidental discovery ... but I give clues ... and photos ... just in case a seeker needs a little help. Tree cover is massive here on the east coast. I do want them to be found ... just a little effort. After all I don't want someone investing time & gasoline ... to be disappointed in their search ... wheither it's the neat little trail the cache is located on or the puzzle used to locate the cache.

I don't think laying out each little issue is the point here ... just a little responsibility to the cache you've just found ... don't leave the lid half off ... even if you found it that way. Don't leave it totally exposed ... when it's clear ... from the clues or whatever that it was intended to be secured. I know of one in NC that is suspended from a camo parachute cord about 22 feet up in a tree. It's obvious what the owner intended ... but the clues don't say look up in the tree ... that's part of the challenge.

My whole beef has been with folks that don't put things back ... sort of like me and the toilet seat (according to the wife)! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 08 August 2001).]

Hawk-eye, looks like we need to getogether and teach our local cachers a little resposibility.

I went and checked on my multiple cache today afetr it had been out for only a couple of weeks. What I found almost made me pick it up and take it home and archive it. The first part of the cache a blind man could have found. The main cache, who needs a GPS? It was sitting in the wide open. I could see it from 100 feet away!! The log book and the disposable camera was no longer in the zip lock bag, good thing the container is water proof.

The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth!!

Seriously---how hard is it to leave it as you found it?? I've found some with the lids off, one of mine that I had hidden inside a log was logged a few finders later as sitting in the middle of the PATH!!!!!One my sister had hidden was about 5 feet from where she left it, with the lid off on the wrong side of the tree. Frosts my cookies!!!!!

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by jc364:

... The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth!!

I hear you .... that is such a great cache ... I fail to understand why someone would want to ruin it for the next person ... Leave it though ... I got a lot of pleasure from that hunt and I'm sure that most of the people that go for it will too. A series of younger cachers hit my Hawk 7 cache last week ... I bee-lined to it ... to see how it faired ... those fellows were some of the good ones ... perfect shape ... cache in as good a shape as when I placed it. Restored my confidence.

All in all ... it's sort of like all the garbage we keep finding on and along our area's trails ... we have some of the greatest hiking trails for an urban area ... that I've ever seen ... and I'm amazed at how much trash I find ... odd things ... even things like disposable diapers ... to quote myself ... "thar be goats in them thar woods". I've added garbage bags to my cache kit.

mad.gif Hate to sound like I come from the fringe ... but there might ought to be a "goat season" added to this year's hunting season.

Guest Hard Slate

Seems to be a common problem.We went on a hunt,and in coming close to final the final leg of the cache,we came around a bend in the trail to see a nice shiny rubbermaid lid about 60' off.I was really dissapointed to end a long very well thought out multi-leg cache on this note.

Then when I got home someone had posted my cache "good thing it was out in the open".

So off i go,and sure enough, there it was,on top of the debree I had on top of it.

So,it's the same old song and dance, if it's covered well when you find it, cover well when you leave it!

Guest blinddog

I'm a neocacher, but I thought the whole game was to have your GPS get you with in 10 or so feet and then hunt for the cache. A cache out in the open just invites problems with vandals and sort of takes away from the game.

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by blinddog:

...A cache out in the open just invites problems with vandals and sort of takes away from the game.

WELL SAID ... That's exactly the point. Welcome to the game ...

Guest BryanG

I would like to suggest it might not be your fellow Cachers that are leaving caches out in th open.

Don't assume that someone that was looking for it left it out. I would believe that most of these caches that were left out were done so by "outsiders." People or ANIMALS that have found it pulled it out and just don't care enought to put it back.

Just my 2cents

quote:
Originally posted by BryanG:

I would like to suggest it might not be your fellow Cachers that are leaving caches out in th open.

Don't assume that someone that was looking for it left it out. I would believe that most of these caches that were left out were done so by "outsiders." People or ANIMALS that have found it pulled it out and just don't care enought to put it back.

Just my 2cents

Well that may be the case in some instances Bryan, but I assure you that there is no way my cache was accidently found. Certainly not the first part of it.