Found A Benchmark But Not In The Database

proimion

I was out looking for a regular multi-cache today when I literally stumbled over a benchmark 20 feet from the waypoint I was searching for. It was a metal disk sitting about 4 inches above ground on a little concrete post. The markings were as follows:

D.W.D

LS 16398

As this is was only 20 yards or so from the Platte River in Denver (Denver's main water supply), I suspect this to belong to the Denver Water District (now known as just Denver Water).

But when I go to log this cache, it ain't in the Groundspeak Database. Searching on any of the items above yield nothing. Entering the coordinates for the waypoint I was actually searching for yields nothing closer than .30 miles.

What next? I'd like to log this (never went benchmark hunting before). I suppose not every benchmark is registered?

DustyJacket is right. There are many benchmarks and other survey markers that you may find that are not loggable on the GC.com site. A good explanation of why can be found on the benchmarking FAQ page under the headings 'I found a benchmark, but it isn't in your database. Why?', and 'If you find a marker that isn't in the database...'.

As far a the other info on the mark you found 'LS 16398' is the registration number of the surveyor, a Mr. Thomas M. Carpenter, who set the monument, and '1985' is the year it was set. (Information about all licensed Land Surveyors in the State of Colorado can be found on the Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors.)

- Kewaneh