Rino 120 Software Update To 3.50 From 3.40

Anybody updated a Rino 120 to version 3.50 from 3.40? The update description is:

"Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:

Updated to support transfer of proximity waypoints with MapSource"

I think I will go ahead and attempt it. Also, I have never updated the POI database for this unit. Does garmin typically update the POI software? Is there a way to tell what version I have (POI) and compare it to what is available from the website? When I hover over the file WindowsXP reports that it is version 2.11.15.0 with a date of 4/20/2004. This date is after the date when I purchased the unit.

Ok I upgraded from 3.40 to 3.50. Didn't notice any new features. Now I look at the Garmin site and there is an update for 5.10. However, if you download it there is a disclaimer that states version 5.0 is required. Where did version 5.0 come from and why is it only for certain 120's?

Coincidentally, I called Garmin on this exact issue several hours ago. Here is what they said....

There are actually TWO different RINO 120s out there. the 3.x version and the newer 5.x version. On the outside and (generally) functionally they are the same, however the electronics are different between the two.

a 3.x WILL NOT work with the 5.x software. This update is only for BRAND new Rinos made very recently. If yours is one that you have had for a while, its most likely a 3.x version.

hope that helps.

Coincidentally, I called Garmin on this exact issue several hours ago. Here is what they said....

There are actually TWO different RINO 120s out there. the 3.x version and the newer 5.x version. On the outside and (generally) functionally they are the same, however the electronics are different between the two.

a 3.x WILL NOT work with the 5.x software. This update is only for BRAND new Rinos made very recently. If yours is one that you have had for a while, its most likely a 3.x version.

hope that helps.

Thanks for checking this. I was about to call them myself.

Just curious does anybody have a rino 120 with version 5.x firmware? If you do are there any new functions or features?

I JUST got a 130 in the mail that is a 5.0. I can find no differences between it and my 120, barring the normal differences that should be there since its a better model.

I think its a manufacturing thing more than function. They probably found a better/cheaper way to make the guts with a different chipset.