Etrex Legend Or Sportrak Map

wb5ury

These two GPSr are about the same price on amazon.com. Which one over the other? Pro's, con's, etc?

Between the two I'd get the legend.

Its a little more compact, and has the joystick and buttons arranged along the 'edge' of the upper half of the unit. Meaning you can operate totally with one hand. Plus, I've used a different etrex model before so it the layout should be more familar. The legend has a 'patch' antenna, which has to be skyward oriented for best reception. A quad helix (what the sportrack has) may be little more forgiving (won't lose reception as badly if your doing it way wrong), but I wouldn't let that sway you, both work well for geocaching!!

If your not in a hurry, I would suggest you either visit an outfitter that has both on display so you can actually handle them. Or even better, see if there are any nearby cachers (or groups) that might be able to meet you somewhere and let you do a field trial :unsure: .

cons: the ST map may get stress cracks along the the screw holes, and Magellans seem to kick into averaging most while on the trail (its designed that way so this is intended flaw), so you'll overshoot the cache more often. The Legend might get 'black screen' (a connect to the screen getting lose) or a click stick stuck (will only move on or two directions not all four.

I'll let you read threw the thread about those. You'll find people in both groups that have had good and bad experiences with the maker (and by that I mean sometimes will sometimes won't fix the problem free of charge, even out of warrenty.) That is if you send it in, some choice not to deal with that. The case cracks don't seem to hamper normal performance, and at home fix for the legend is just to give it sharp rap against your other palm.