Custom Logbooks?

My GC partner and I decided we were curious about Letterboxing as well, and decided to to check out some of the local boxes in our area. Of course, we couldn't bring along just any dollar store notebook to stamp in, so I threw these together:

Mine:

maly1.jpg

maly2.jpg

maly3.jpg

His:

ryuu1.jpg

ryuu2.jpg

ryuu3.jpg

What I used to make them:

stuff.jpg

Here's how I made them!

First, I printed out the covers on matte paper, just using my inkjet. For decent resolution, I went with about 400DPI. The colored bar along the top edge of the books was part of the picture! I think the sizes on these were 3.5" by 5". Anyways, cutting out the pictures, I spray-adhesived them to the 140LB watercolor paper (which has a neat texture, and is nice and stiff). I then covered the fronts, backs, and edges of this new card using four or five layers of Mod Podge. It's water resistant when it's dry, and it didn't bleed the printing at all. I then cut down the pages for my books using an old sketchbook (the white pages in the picture). I used 3 sheets of sketchbook paper, folded in half, and used 6 of these folded groups per book, making each book have 36 pages. The back covers of these are the back to an old sketchbook, covered with adhesive glittery paper (although anything would work). I then lined them up, marked where my holes would be, and used a hammer and a nail to punch out the five holes that would be stitched through. I sewed them together using friendship bracelet string (embroidery floss), although the binding page reccomends using upholstry or carpet thread. I thought this was more colorful and fun. My friend did a book and used hemp, which is really durable. This page is where I got the information on how to bind it.

I thought I'd share this project with you all because it's super easy, and would be really neat to use for doing custom logbooks for the caches you place. I'm going to be going back to all of my caches, retrieving the books, and making new books like these for each cache, with a custom cover that has artwork and some neat "splash page" about the cache.

Does anyone else have any custom logbooks like these, or is it just too much work to bother doing something like this?

Edited by Hematite Dragon

We're thinking about changing our caches into letterbox hybrids, just because I really would love to get more people in on the game. I have a dozen friends who want to start geocaching, but none of them have GPS, so I thought letterboxing would be a good way to get their feet wet.

There are very few letterboxes in my county (6, all in one park, and only 2 of those are easy to get to), but all sorts of geocaches all over the place.

Besides, anything that's an interesting artistic diversion (such as making books or carving stamps) is okay with me!

Warning about ModPodge... It's actually NOT good to use unsealed...

If the book gets too hot, or gets put under a pile of stuff, or whatever, the ModPodge can actually re-liquify... Thus, I'd also venture it's not entirely waterproof.. More like water-soluable.

If you go to WalMart, the same place in the craft section that you find the ModPodge (usually the same shelf) there's also spray sealant.. Get yourself a can of that and spray your book good.