Magellan Map 330

Guest schauffler

Guest schauffler

Has anyone used the Magellan Map 330? I am very interested in hunting for caches in my area but would also like mapping capabilities for work. Any info would be appreciated. I have noticed that most people posting seem to be using Garmin products; are they better than the Megellan units?

Dunno, Garmins tend to be popular and the eTrex is no exception... they're good and cheap.

I have a Magellan MAP 410 and it's good and very customizable, has a lunar cycle built in, can be used for boating, and has major roads/highways in it. But it's not intended as a road GPS, you're not going to be able to find the little italian restautant downtown (at least road directions, you can still get the lat/long of course).

I think it's just a matter of familiarity and usage and features. One thing the Garmin has an advantage is a more open company. Magellan seems very hush hush when asked for details and stuff while Garmin seems more open to help software developers do programs for. Other than that, both make good GPS units and your best bet is to try to borrow one and use it for a couple times to see how you like to use it, perhaps buy a cheap used one. Then when you know what is important to you, to demo a bunch of models from Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, etc...

Jay