Turn Off Cobra Notification Message?

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the notification message that says something to the effect of "You've reached your destination"?

I have a Cobra GPS500 and I find the above mentioned pop-up message very annoying. Your only response to the message is to hit "OK" then you have to go back and select: Waypoints ---> select---> number --> GoTo, and you walk about 3 feet and then the notification pops up again. Then you have to go back and re-select your options all over again.

ARRRGGGHHH!

It seems like the person(s) who built the thing never actually had to use it.

<note>I usually don't whine, but this kept happening the other day in heavy brush. I was getting readings of 105 feet, 10 feet, 39 feet and just as it would lock in and give me an accurate reading. Bam! Up comes the stupid message and I'd have to start all over again trying to get a good reading.

</note>

Edited by Zoptrop

Well... I put myself in your shoes, and boy am I glad they're your shoes! :D

I thought that maybe there'd be an option to turn the warnings off. I went to their Web site to view a copy of the manual. It was a little difficult to find - not very intuitive. Once I found it, all I found was the following:

"NOTICE ARRIVING AT DESTINATION!

If you are navigating to a waypoint, POI or city/town, or along a track or

route, you will see this message when you are within 500 feet (150 m) of

your destination. Select OK or the PAGE button to clear the message."

Not much help. So, I looked around for firmware updates. HMMMMmmmmm...

There doesn't seem to be any!

3 months after the Garmin 60 series came out, they've already published several firmware updates. Lots of the changes were to fix certain gripes that customers had about some of the functions :D

So, you can try contacting Cobra and voice your complaints/wishes:

Customer Service Operators are available in

English and Spanish at 773-889-3087 Monday

to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CST.

Automated Technical Assistance is available

in English or Spanish 24 hours, 7 days a week via

e-mail at: productinfo@cobra.com

Cobra Electronics Corporation

6500 West Cortland Street

Chicago, IL 60707 USA

I just checked eBay - I consider it a good source for determining fair market value of things. The highest bid for a NEW Cobra GPS 500 is $51.00. That price may go slightly higher as it has about 23 more hours before the auction closes.

You usually get what you pay for.

Thanks for the input... That's really the only complaint I have about the Cobra (so far). Last week it got me within 11 feet of a cache (after suffering through the notification message 5 or 6 times).

Since I'm new to this - I'm learning. I'm learning that 50 feet is "close enough" and that I need to start looking in the general direction the arrow was pointing at the time.

Like all newbies I was pretty much expecting the GPS to have pinpoint accuracy.

I may end up listing this one on ebay too. I thought the GPS500 was a better choice since it wasn't the cheapest one around (they retail for $160) but from now on I'm gonna do some comparison shopping.

Thanks once again - Mike.